Reaction score
City, State
Nürtingen(10miles near Stuttgart)Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
`93 4.0 V6 4x4 4door
Hi out there,

Want to install a 3" body lift kit.

got a `93 4.0V6.

Some friends and I installed a 4"trailmaster suspension 2month ago.Hard work! How long will it take to install the kit?My friends are carmechanical,but we needed about 12-13hours to install the suspension.Do I need some secial tools?

Have a nice ride!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same question...

I want a 3 inch lift, or mabe 4, just enough to fit my new 33's without rubbing, can it be done with a body lift??

Frank, If you take a look in the Explorer tips, you will find a very detailed explination on how to install a body lift. I haven't done mine, it keeps getting set back, but eventualy I'll do it. They say it takes 6 to 8 hours, no special tools needed, unless you want to weld your bumper brackets... which is a very good idea.

JR, unfourtantly body lifts don't go over 3" , and with 3 you will be cutting it close. I am gona put a 3" and gona run 32x11.50's. I'm sure you could fit them, but you would have to do some hacking at you wheel well. Matt Adams fit 32's with a 2", so you might be able to do it. Best bet would be to install the lift, and then drive it to a tire shop and have them but on a 33" and see if it rubs.

Hope this helps,
Chris

[Edited by Isles4evr on 06-20-2000 at 11:39 PM]

Replace the original body pucks at the same time. I have the 3" body lift. I installed it in 3 hours with my 5 year old helping. Then spent 6 hours trying to get the bumpers lined up. I picked up an electric impact wrench at Harbor Freight for $60. That took 2 hours off my install time. You will need a jigsaw and steel cutting blades-or a cutting torch and some high speed metal drill bits to get the bumpers back on. My 91's are toast and I'll be repacing them after the temp goes below 100. I also installed a receiver hitch at the same time. I used it as my rear bumper bracket with a few modificatins.

So do u know if 12.5 inch wide tires will fit (without rub) on my 7 inch rim?

Hi,Chris.
Thanx for your tip-looked in the Explorer tips.

I`ll think I do the lift in about 2-3month.

So long
Frank-D

No problem Frank, good luck with your lift when you do it. Put a post on here to let us know how it went.

JayR, If you put a 4" suspention they will fit. You may need to go with a 15x8 rim though. I believe that with a 12.50 you can't go smaller than an 8" . don't quote me on this, because I know there are plenty of more knowledgeble people on this site who can give you a definite yes or no. Hopefuly someone else will read, and post something.

Good luck,
Chris

Hi all.
Just for your infoormation. I have a 91 XLT with a 3'body lift. I was running 31x10.5 on 8x15 rims without a problem. When i went to put bigger tires on it, the biggest it would take was 32x11.5 and still get a tad bit of rub on the right side in hard turns. This is with only a 3'body lift. If you have a 4" suspension lift as well you should have no problem going to 33's. As far as easy of installation it is fairly easy. Only problem i had was getting the front two body mounts out, had to cut the bolts with a hacksaw. One thing to keep in mind is make sure you do the drivers side first otherwise your power steering pump will leak out the fluid. Took me and one other guy about 8 hours with numerous breaks and we had never done it before. Good luck!

Amigo
P.s.
If you care to get an idea what it may look like afterwards email me at Amigoisme@aol.comand I'll send you a pic.

Hey Jason, 12.5's will fit on a 15x7" wheel, but, on a 2 door you'll crown the tread. Meaning you'll wear the center of the tread MUCH faster than the outside. The weight and leverage of a 4 door will keep the tread fairly flat at lower psi's, but you'd have to run at about 24psi all the way around to keep the tread flat on yours...

So should i get some 11.5;s or some 10.5's or should I stick with the 12.5's and get new rims too?? I kinda like the stock ones and I dont plan on 4 wheeling alot, i do alot of city and highway miles, please recomend what you think would be best....

Hey Jason, You already have the tires? If so, you'll need to run 'em on 15x8's and install either a 6" suspension or 4" suspension and 2" body lift. If 32's would be economical for ya', then run 'em on the stock wheels at about 28psi and install a 4" suspension. There's a LOT of kits available out there, though. Did you want a kit to replace the crappy rear springs? Want to just flip the axle?

What do u mean by flip the axel? thanks alot for all your input guys.

He's talking about putting the springs on top of the axle, (whereas the stock springs sit below), instead of using arched springs for the lift. The only thing, I believe, you have to modify is the spring perch. You will have to take it off the bottom and get one put on top of the axle and welded. Making absolutely sure it is level! And probably longer shock..Good luck.

'I reserve the right to recant, remove or modify any of the above suggestions, ideas or comment on the above subject in order to keep myself from sounding like a complete idiot".

Hey Jason, Goober Man's absolutely right, although most kits that flip the axle come with a 'saddle' bracket that seats the axle to the springs with no other parts needed. The only drawback to doing the flip is that on a 2door you end up about 1.5" to 2" high in the rear due to lower weight and leverage on the springs...

Back