How to: - Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
So just that i am clear on this. upfront i got 2" (roughly) of lift with my torsion bars. if i did this conversion i would still only be at 2"? i really want to get more lift up front like around 3-4".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So just that i am clear on this. upfront i got 2" (roughly) of lift with my torsion bars. if i did this conversion i would still only be at 2"? i really want to get more lift up front like around 3-4".

I am sure you are all wheel drive so that is your killer right there. Find someone to make you custom awd lift spindles or have new upper and lower control arms built to get a little wider stance and more lift plus it will ditch the tbars. Any custom offroad shop could extend your front axles easily for you. (NOT CHEAP TO DO THOUGH WHICH I AM SURE YOU KNOW) I am only 2wd but I couldn't find some parts that I saw on other trucks so I had them custom made. (goin long travel baby!!)

I am sure you are all wheel drive so that is your killer right there. Find someone to make you custom awd lift spindles or have new upper and lower control arms built to get a little wider stance and more lift plus it will ditch the tbars. Any custom offroad shop could extend your front axles easily for you. (NOT CHEAP TO DO THOUGH WHICH I AM SURE YOU KNOW) I am only 2wd but I couldn't find some parts that I saw on other trucks so I had them custom made. (goin long travel baby!!)

copy that. Yea i kinda figured i am at about the max lift possible without getting super expensive. i guess i will just wait till i get my police job and get the wrangler 4dr ive always wanted and those are pretty darn easy to lift and wheel.

Correct. You don't gain any travel or lift from converting to coilovers. If you had the 4" Superlift kit, you simply use a longer travel shock and a longer coil spring and it will still be the same travel and height as the torsion bars. Now, you can preload your coil springs a bit, in essence doing a torsion twist, for additional height. This brings with it the same disadvantages of the TT. Increased wear, limited down travel, rougher ride.

Without the Superlift kit, a solid axle conversion, or converting to 2wd, you're not going to get much lift in the front. You could get a body lift if you really want the height, they're only about $200 bucks plus maybe $600 or so to install.

even with a Superlift, the droop of the lower a arms is the same as stock, it just allows a bigger tire to be used,,
i have the Superlift, and Coilovers, and it has the more flex than stock as i put the bumpstops for the lower arms back on so that the coilovers were just short of coil bind,, it allows more stuff, thus seeming like there was more droop on the other side,, and no sway bars, i took the front off and disconnect the back when off road,,

and the rear droop only helps a ton of the 5th shock is removed from the rear diff
385890_10150944687540165_1452890816_n.jpg

in that pic it limited the back travel,,, lifting the wheel off the ground,,

Seems like the main right shock is over extended too...
Remote reservoirs?

Does anyone have a copy of the plans or drawing of the mounts and yes I followed the link and they are not there.Oh yes I saw the PDF File but it's not complete ...

any word on jacob of late? i wrote him 2dayz ago havent
heard back..

!Disclaimer!
Modifying a vehicle's suspension may affect it's performance or handling. Proceed at your own risk.!!

Parts list as purchased from ORW (OFF ROAD WAREHOUSE)

Fox 2.0 emulsion shocks (980-02-001-A) x2 ($207 each)
Eibach 12" 800lb springs (1200.250.0800) x2 ($52.99 each)
Spanner Wrenches (07-100 and 07-102) for adjusting coilovers on shock body ($13.50 for both)

Fox Longer Eyelet (213-01-282-B) x2 ($30 each)
Fox Heim Spacers (213-18-009-A) x8 ($4.50 each) these are to space them correctly in the mounts.
Shock Soft Jaws (4023-875-625) these are to hold the shock rod while changing eyelets ($30)

Prices and part numbers are subject to change at the discretion of the vendor. Please don't quote prices or part numbers if attempting to order.

Oh man was I getting sick of looking at those torsion bars hanging down from my "Superlifted" X. They had to go. I started by reading every single last thread on this site in regards to coilover conversions; from how to's and reviews to RCD discontinuing there kit. Bottom line, and everyone says it on here, "Use the Search function! And read the entire thread!" If you want it, you can make it happen. Everyone said this kit conversion was impossible to find. Well...I got it done.

?????????any word on jacob of late? i wrote him 2dayz ago havent
heard back..

what about the clearance between the cv joint axle and the bottom of the coilover? i found some air shocks i want to mount up front on mine but im worried that the bigger shock base ( not the standard rod bottom shock) will not fit i n the stock mounting place

?????????any word on jacob of late? i wrote him 2dayz ago havent
heard back..

what about the clearance between the cv joint axle and the bottom of the coilover? i found some air shocks i want to mount up front on mine but im worried that the bigger shock base ( not the standard rod bottom shock) will not fit i n the stock mounting place

Personal guys I would check out google or somewhere else for the answer..

Seems like the main right shock is over extended too...
Remote reservoirs?

no it was not over extended, it had some more in there yet, but not much,,

Hey guys, I have an original RCD coilover conversion bracket set that I had put on my Explorer a few years ago before RCD quit making them. I cannot remember what I paid for them, but am willing to sell them for $200 if anyone is interested. The only items missing are the shock tower gussets which were welded onto my Explorer... you'll need to make your own, but those are simple to do. PM me if interested.

Hey guys, I have an original RCD coilover conversion bracket set that I had put on my Explorer a few years ago before RCD quit making them. I cannot remember what I paid for them, but am willing to sell them for $300 if anyone is interested. The only items missing are the shock tower gussets which were welded onto my Explorer... you'll need to make your own, but those are simple to do. PM me if interested.

post some pics of them...

Any one do this on a lowered explorer?

I would interested in the coil overs with a lowered ex. Would a 2 inch diameter shock body clear the cv axles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Price drop to $200 for the RCD brackets. PM me if interested.

Back