How to: - Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Sale pending. I'll take pics and post a photo if the sale falls through.
EDIT: sold

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If anyone else is selling theirs please text me!
516-375-7899

If anyone else is selling theirs please text me!
516-375-7899

I have a set of coilover converstion brackets that I will sell. These are not made by RCD, but are of the same design.

Let me know if you are interested.

I will send you am PM also.

Would switching to coilovers be lighter than the torsion bars?

I'm thinking they would definitely be lighter.

Noob question I know, but what's the purpose of this? Getting greater independent wheel travel per side over the torsion bar setup? Is there any benefit to doing this in vehicles that won't be seeing off-roading regularly?

Would switching to coilovers be lighter than the torsion bars?

I'm thinking they would definitely be lighter.

lighter as in, how? ride quality?

Noob question I know, but what's the purpose of this? Getting greater independent wheel travel per side over the torsion bar setup? Is there any benefit to doing this in vehicles that won't be seeing off-roading regularly?

ride quality would be greatly increased; regardless of whether or not you're coming from a ride with a TT.

Looking for sizes of the brackets , followed the Whole link but nothing is here & pdf file is incomplete.. or better yet anyone got a set laying around they would sell?

I have been searching this forum for weeks on a write-up to trash the T-bars and I finally found it.... What an awesome write up and pictures are great too.... GOOD JOB, MAN... Do you have a follow-up after all these years?

Just a note for everyone looking to do the conversion. I recommend mounting your lower brackets about an inch to an inch and a half outboard from center of the original lower shock hole in the A arms.
This will help keep the springs from contacting the frame during suspension cycle if limited properly and will still clear the axle boots if you put the bolts on the shock eye with the threads away from the boots.
I learned through damaging 2 sets of shafts that the lower mounts could not be centered where the OEM shocks were. Learn from others mistakes and you'll be happy.

Which lower mount brackets are you using?

Just a note for everyone looking to do the conversion. I recommend mounting your lower brackets about an inch to an inch and a half outboard from center of the original lower shock hole in the A arms.
This will help keep the springs from contacting the frame during suspension cycle if limited properly and will still clear the axle boots if you put the bolts on the shock eye with the threads away from the boots.
I learned through damaging 2 sets of shafts that the lower mounts could not be centered where the OEM shocks were. Learn from others mistakes and you'll be happy.

There was a member on Ranger forums a few years back selling the brackets with hardware as a kit. User name is ME00STEPSIDE. His brackets are quality and price was reasonable.
http://www.ranger-forums.com/suspension-tires-wheels-118/me00stepside-coil-over-brackets-148884/

This one has the drawing of the cutouts. it's a current thread on the topic but it looks like the new sets of stepside brackets are up over 300 now. I think I scored mine new with hardware for 180 to 195
http://www.ranger-forums.com/suspension-tech-36/coilover-brackets-116297/

Gotcha. I do not have that issue with my brackets. Mine are modeled off the RCD brackets and clear everything just fine. This is the first I am hearing about the coil clearance issue on the frames. The lower bolt direction was obvious to me upon install, and have not had this issue either.

The only part I had to modify for clearance was trimming the stock bump stop. Your upper bracket might not be made to push the top of the shock far enough away from the frame, or both brackets are just not made right. :dunno:

There was a member on Ranger forums a few years back selling the brackets with hardware as a kit. User name is ME00STEPSIDE. His brackets are quality and price was reasonable.
http://www.ranger-forums.com/suspension-tires-wheels-118/me00stepside-coil-over-brackets-148884/

This one has the drawing of the cutouts. it's a current thread on the topic but it looks like the new sets of stepside brackets are up over 300 now. I think I scored mine new with hardware for 180 to 195
http://www.ranger-forums.com/suspension-tech-36/coilover-brackets-116297/

Gotcha. I do not have that issue with my brackets. Mine are modeled off the RCD brackets and clear everything just fine. This is the first I am hearing about the coil clearance issue on the frames. The lower bolt direction was obvious to me upon install, and have not had this issue either.

The only part I had to modify for clearance was trimming the stock bump stop. Your upper bracket might not be made to push the top of the shock far enough away from the frame, or both brackets are just not made right. :dunno:

Upper bracket is plausable. But mounting the lowers further out has been solid since and I've beat on them a little in the past few months. Part of it could also be due to the lift angles being pushed to about the max and the further inboard the mounts were just made it worse.. I'd still recommend them being push outboard a touch. I gained about 1/8" clearance from the frame and don't worry about it anymore.

I know this is an old thread but imade my own brackets since I couldn't find any. Doing coil over on a 00 ranger with a 5.0 and about 180 worth of number and winch

That's 180 lbs of bumper and winch

I know this is an old thread but imade my own brackets since I couldn't find any. Doing coil over on a 00 ranger with a 5.0 and about 180 worth of number and winch

Do you have pics of what you did?

Will get pics soon still need to get the shocks and springs I have a 4 suspension lift I'm getting ready to install and a set of air bag over loads also. But will get pics of the engine and bumper and winch.

And a pic of the brackets I made

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back