• Register Today It's free!

ITS BROKEN!!!

victorye3

Reaction score
City, State
Tulare, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Well it finally happend something major broke. Now, I have to have someone pull the motor to replace the right front freeze plug behind the motor mount. So Im out about 400 bones. Why would any one put a freeze plug behind the motor mount; I thought freeze plugs were to releave pressure if something major happens.:frustrate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The freeze plug holes are actually there to remove the sand after the engine block has been cast. They also serve as a fail safe to (hopefully) protect the engine block from cracking in the event that the coolant freezes. Their biggest downfall is that they are made of steel and if the cooling system is not serviced on a regular basis they rust from the inside out, causing them to leak. If I were you, while the engine is out have the shop dooing the work replace ALL the soft plugs (freeze plugs) with new ones made of brass. While its out you may also consider having any gaskets that may be leaking replaced as well.

Q: Can the freeze plugs leak water into your oil, or do I have a gasket leak? The water has to be getting it my oil somehow.

The plugs are on the outside of the motor, so they don't mix the oil with the coolant.

If your block is cracked it is possible for water to get in you oil pan.

Well it wasnt the freeze plug after all. THANK GOD! it was going to cost me about $700 to pull the motor and replace it. But come to find out after I had taken it to an auto shop it was a radaitor hose that was split wide open. The guy figured this out after he had taken the right front motor mont off where the freeze plug was located. So it cost me $70 for all that.

Yes, a cracked block could cause water to get into oil. But it is more likely a bad head gasket or warped head.

Back