Install: Steeda Toe Links and Trailing Arms | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Install: Steeda Toe Links and Trailing Arms

mguy13sport

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I installed the Steeda toe links and trailing arm today. I learned a few things I will share...

No hardware included... Use your old or buy new
The coating chips off even when using a rubber BFH
The bushings on the Steeda toe links are wider than factory

The trailing arms went in easily. The passenger side toe link was a little tricky. A lot of prying to get everything lined up.

The driver side toe link would not even fit into the subframe slot... Its such a narrow slot and the new bushing is huge. I lubed and oiled it up with no luck. It is now in my freezer getting the arctic treatment. I'll see if contracting the bushing will help tomorrow

Update: freezer trick worked perfectly. I was able to at least get it into the subframe slot and then took some brute force to get the bolt lined up. After that I had to pry the toe link onto the spindle. Again, the coating chipped off. I don't really care but Steeda claims this coating is super resistant to chipping and I would have to say that is a lie. I was barely hitting with a rubber hammer and it just flaked off 😂

The install was anything but smooth. No issue getting anything out. The factory stuff comes and goes in very easily. The Steeda stuff has oversized bushings and requires a lot of force to get lined up. I had the toe links perfectly set to the factory spec and they wouldn't line up... Not even close.

Also, a long extension and impact gun are really necessary to get the inner toe link bolt out of the subframe.

I would post pics but the forum wants me to pay noney ( no thanks)

It's only $20. The "money" helps to support the Forum that many members benefit from for free. There are also other ways to post pictures but since they then aren't saved to the Forum servers, they have a habit of disappearing over time which is very frustrating to those looking for the photos.

Peter

Back