• Register Today It's free!

Install your own camber bushing?

BigDave

Reaction score
City, State
River Forest, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
I just did the coil spacer lift and my front wheels now sit like this \ / . It's in the shop to get an alignment now, but I was quoted about $500 to install new camber bushings if it needs them (labor and parts). I don't have that kind of money and I was wondering if it is possible to install your own camber bushings and how hard it would be to do that.

If any one has pics of where the bushings go and how to get them in I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never mind, mods can delete this...

Thanks

You should be able to do it yourself. The "hardest" part of an alignment is getting the measurements. Once the camber and caster have been measured and you figure out which bushing to get and which orientation to put it in, it's the same procedure as replacing the ball joints (except you don't have to press the ball joints out of the knuckle). The main difficulty you'll encounter is rusted parts that don't want to come off.

$500, where at. I just got a quote for a alignment, $40 to align, $120 alignment + camber bushing install if required.

I called Napa to price bushings, $50, hope thats for a pair. I was thinking about installing them myself, but I may let them do it for $30.

It doesnt't look to hard. They are located behind the wheel on top of the steering knuckle on the top balljoint. Just looson pinch bolt, remove a c-clip, pull and twist out.

500 buck is nuts... we used to charge 70 to put the bushings in, then 65 to align. The bushing were probably about 50 bucks too.

Oh, by the way... does anyone know who makes the biggest offset bushing? Thre biggest that I have seen is 2.75 by specialty products. They make it up to 3.5 for a 2wd though...

Chris

I got my bushings for $15 each at carquest I think. Isles, you may be right with the 2.75, it's either that or 3.

Back