Installing a Billet Grill - whats involved? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing a Billet Grill - whats involved?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
What is involved in installing a billet grill on a 99?

Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on the type/brand of grille.

Some of the cheaper ones are just held on with zipties. Some use clips to fasten to the stock grille. Some use bolts and require that you drill some holes. Some even require you cutting out the grille from the front clip to install the new one. It just depends on the type of grille you get. Also, some grilles don't come with the adapter you'll need to be able to get at the hood latch to open it. There have been a few members who've installed a cheapo grille only to find that they couldn't pop the hood.:rolleyes:

Thanks Alec.... I don't want anything cheap on my truck. What is the best grill to use.

On my 99, the hood opening latch in not in the grill.

Thanks....

Most of the grilles sold by reputable online retailers are of good quality (read: not ebay). I've seen grilles at all sorts of sites like truckperformance.com, ultimatetruckandvan.com, and many other related car parts sites. Most install easily without being very invasive. However, some require cutting out the stock grille parts (I think Steel Horse might be the only one like that, and it might not even be applicable to your 99). Just do some hunting. Recommendation, b4 you buy something, check out the manufacturers' website for more info on the products than you get from the retailer sites.

Good luck!

Has anyone installed one on a 99?

If so, what make and any comments please.

Thanks...]

ok i got a speed grille on my 96, bad thing, the hood latch is behind the grille. i can still get the hood open by wedging a screwdriver in the grille holes real quick, but i think in a real emergency when i dont have a screwdriver, i'll need to remount the hoodlatch. is this easy to do? I need to get the hood latch out from behind the grille and under the hood. if anyone has done this tell me how, i dont want to keep damaging the grille

What is a "speed grill"?

Thanks in advance....

I just installed a billet on my 2001 sport trac. It wqas kinda a pain in the rear. I did get it on but have some tweaking to do still. I ordered this from a place in California. It is made by Trenz. Call 1-661-395-3003 and ask for Matt. He got me my Billet in about 3 business days. And was alot of help. I also put one on my 92 which was a very simple install. Hope this helps.

street scene makes them, is just like a cool looking metal grille with lots of holes, kinda like the ones on the f-150

Aldive, I purchased my grill from E&G Classics,

Dead Link Removed

View

I installed it myself and there were no problems at all. No cutting out of the old grill. No drilling and no zipties. The grill fits snugly against the factory grill. There are four brackets, two at the top corners and two at the bottom that rotate 180 degrees to fit above and below the factory grill shell. Then all you do is tighten down the hex nuts and that is it. As for opening the hood...no problem there either on the '99s. No adapters or kits needed. Just open the hood the way you always have.

Thanks for the reply and the pic. Looks great. This is what I want.

That link appeared to be a wholesale operation.

Where did you get it and if you don't mind, what did you pay for it?

Thanks....

Aldive, I paid around $180. at the time. I ordered it from Explorers Express not knowing is was an E&G until the box came. Anyway, I was going to order a second one but I emailed E&G first to see if I could get a better deal. You know eliminate the 'middle man'. Here is their reply:
----------------------------------------------------------
Hello Keith,

Yes, you can buy direct billet grilles direct from E&G. Please call
800.394.2774 and ask for Ron Z. or Elaine Ayers in the Sales Department.

Thank you,

Carolyne
------------------------------------------------------------
If I remember correctly, their price was around $90. give or take a few. Definatley cheaper than going through Explores Express again. Hope this helps.

Thanks, again. I shall give them a call.

I just called them and they told me 195.47 so i told them forget it!!! I could buy a Carriage works for that much, WTF is up with that? Explorer Express wouldve been cheaper!

I wanted this one because i do not want to cut the stock grille off but now i think i am going to have ot

i love my ebay one. you can see pics on my homepage at the bottom.

This thread is soooo old. From May 2001! Its so strange to see Aldive ask such a simple question to Alec. Man, this is weird. :D

wow, i didn't realize it was that old.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2_G.jpg

$10 @ Home Depot and some work with an angle grinder. Looks awsome and always gets compliments!

Back