installing oem sync system in interceptor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

installing oem sync system in interceptor

mrdot

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 & 16 EXP Int. 3.5T
i believe the sync system can be installed if all the wiring is mapped out correctly and 4 isolated bits are enabled in the car. has anyone tired this before? I've seen a few posts, but has anyone really taken the time to trace multiple cars with AsBuiltExplorer and enable the bits before hand? I've narrowed 4 bits enabled in 4 modules to sync vehicles, plus the addition of the apim (sync unit) and gpsm.

i also need to look at the wiring diagrams... does anyone have access to the wiring diagram/connector view for the: fcdim, acm and apim in a 2016 police interceptor? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have both a 2016 PIU and a 13 Police vehicle?

Peter

Yes and a 15 exp int. - all 3.5. I'm very experienced with forscan.

Which sync are you going for? My 2016 has Sync 1 if you need any forscan settings from it. If you are doing sync 2/3, not going to be much help there I dont think.

OP, did you ever get this working?

I will attempt this over the weekend.

Bill32399 is the master at getting this done. He helped me a ton. I actually have a whole Sync 3 kit for a base model/non sync. I put a lot of time and effort into sourcing everything for it, installed it, and then my car got totaled. But it isn’t very difficult to do. Just want to say thank you again to Bill for all his help.

what are you talking about Bill32399?

Bill32399 is the master at getting this done. He helped me a ton. I actually have a whole Sync 3 kit for a base model/non sync that I’d sell. I put a lot of time and effort into sourcing everything for it, installed it, and then my car got totaled. But it isn’t very difficult to do. Just want to say thank you again to Bill for all his help.
I just got off the phone with Ford and they want almost $1500.00 + to put in the Sync II since it never came with the the PIU
I also asked about the dc/ac inverter and that too was almost $1300.00
I haven't won the Lottery so I guess I will just have to enjoy what I have!

I got this working, but it needs some adjustment. I swapped the whole apim harness and apim module from the same year and model, wired it up completely and enabled a few bits. The only code that I was having trouble with was U0155-00-2B APIM lost communication with IPC control module. I'm going to check where i tapped into those wires later on. Other than that everything worked: phone audio, bluetooth audio, usb audio, aux., 911 assist.

how i enabled the system in forscan:

acm bit
sccm bit
fcdim bit
rcm preprogrammed enable 911 assist

only code showing up is

U0155 Lost communication with ipc control module, used wiring from fcdim along with power and ground.

16 VDB13 BUGY
22 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER # CAN BUS MULTIMEDIA HIGH SYNC GEN 1 1

17 VDB14 VTGY
22 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER # CAN BUS MULTIMEDIA LOW SYNC GEN 1 1

connected to BCM.

53 VDB04 WHBU 22 CONNECTOR - DIAGNOSTIC # CAN BUS HIGH SPEED
HIGH SYNC GEN 1 1

54 VDB05 WH 22 CONNECTOR - DIAGNOSTIC # CAN BUS HIGH SPEED
LOW SYNC GEN 1 1

I got this working, but it needs some adjustment. I swapped the whole apim harness and apim module from the same year and model, wired it up completely and enabled a few bits. The only code that I was having trouble with was U0155-00-2B APIM lost communication with IPC control module. I'm going to check where i tapped into those wires later on. Other than that everything worked: phone audio, bluetooth audio, usb audio, aux., 911 assist.

acm bit
sccm bit
fcdim bit

only code showing up is

U0155 Lost communication with ipc control module, used wiring from fcdim along with power and ground.

16 VDB13 BUGY

17 VDB14 VTGY

connected to BCM.

HIGH SYNC GEN 1 1

LOW SYNC GEN 1 1
Okay, please decrypt this for me?
Where in Forscan did you go and enable all of this?

acm bit
sccm bit
fcdim bit

only code showing up is

16 VDB13 BUGY

17 VDB14 VTGY

connected to BCM.

HIGH SYNC GEN 1 1

LOW SYNC GEN 1 1
Did you swap your IPC with a unit from the donor vehicle? I only ask because I tried swapping IPCs without swapping sync into my PIU and it complained about losing contact with the SYNC TouchScreen and I couldn't find a way to tell the IPC that I didn't have a touch screen, so my only thought is that the IPC and Sync expect to have the upgraded IPC along with SYNC, and maybe don't like mixing and matching IPC/Radios between the basic and SYNC systems. Just a thought given the error message. Looking forward to the complete details when you're done.

ahmm that is helpful. did you take your asbuilt and overwrite the swapped ipc and it still showed that error? I would assume if you did it wouldn't have shown that error, unless you swapped in a xlt+ ipc?

when i put in a xlt+ acm for sat radio it showed an error, lost commication with apim, i narrowed the /w sync bit down, turned it off and the error disappeared.

ahmm that is helpful. did you take your asbuilt and overwrite the swapped ipc and it still showed that error? I would assume if you did it wouldn't have shown that error, unless you swapped in a xlt+ ipc?

when i put in a xlt+ acm for sat radio it showed an error, lost commication with apim, i narrowed the /w sync bit down, turned it off and the error disappeared.
I did not try overwriting the as built on the new IPC. It’s been a while since I tried this. if I recall correctly there was a difference in available values in the interceptor IPC (less) and the XLT+ IPC (more) I couldn’t find any information to determine what bit in the XLT cluster controlled if it had sync or not. I also can’t find any Explorer that has the two gauge interceptor style gauges with SYNC to help narrow down any possible bits that might control this. If there’s any thing you find that would help let me know and I can test it. Sound like I have the inverse setup you have but it sounds like there should be a bit in both IPC and APIM that tell the systems what you have unless one requires the other. . If you find anything that you want me to test, I’d be happy to help.

i rewired to the back of ipc for VDB04 and VDB05 DIAGNOSTIC # CAN BUS HIGH SPEED and i still got the error message from apim U0155-00-2B APIM lost communication with IPC control module. The system functions without errors though and everything works like it would if the car come with factory sync. i'm very surpised by how easy it was to enable it after wiring the whole system back into the car.

I ran a whole new mic line in from the cutout in the headliner to down the a pillar and behind the ipc to the apim. tapped into the four wires from the fdcim and the rest are apim internal wiring to the acm and aux cable. I would've documented it more, but no one reads my **** anyways anymore. for anyone that cares, you can view some of it here.

add sync 13-15

parts list:

apim module /w all wiring, as much as possible
apim bracket
extra white/white blue strip wiring (13-15)
mic and as much wiring as possible (down a pillar)
finishing plate /w aux and usb and usb cable.
4.2" screen bezel /w apim module
RH steering wheel controls /w phone/hands free

i rewired to the back of ipc for VDB04 and 53 VDB05 DIAGNOSTIC # CAN BUS HIGH SPEED and i still got the error message from apim U0155-00-2B APIM lost communication with IPC control module. The system functions without errors though and everything works like it would if the car come with factory sync. i'm every surpised by how well it was to enable it after wiring the whole system back into the car.

I ran a whole new mic line in from the cutout in the headliner to down the a pillar and behind the ipc to the apim. tapped into the four wires from the fdcim and the rest are apim internal wiring to the acm and aux cable. I would've documented it more, but no one reads my **** anyways anymore. for anyone that cares, you can view some of it here.

add sync 13-15

parts list:

apim module /w all wiring, as much as possible
apim bracket
extra white/white blue strip wiring (13-15)
mic and as much wiring as possible (down a pillar)
finishing plate /w aux and usb and usb cable.
4.2" screen bezel /w apim module
RH steering wheel controls /w phone/hands free
Sounds WAY over my head! I just hope it all works good for you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which sync are you going for? My 2016 has Sync 1 if you need any forscan settings from it. If you are doing sync 2/3, not going to be much help there I dont think.
I just bought a 2016 fpiu and the window sticker says that it has sync. The phone button on the radio does not work. Neither do the phone controls and the sync command on the steering wheel. I tried the fuse and doing a hard reset no luck. What are the forscan setting for sync as that will be my next go to?

Back