• Register Today It's free!

Installing speaker specific amps

damagexinc

Reaction score
City, State
Melrose Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 xlt
Any one on here really good with sound systems and what not? I've got a decent sound system coming along and im trying to add speaker specific amps in the doors to make it sound that much better, my question is would i have to add bigger gauge wires for a small 50 watt amp just or would i be able to use the wires already in the harness?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will want to use at the minimum true 8 gauge (6 ould be better) wire for power to the amp. Don't buy some cheap crap off e-bay. The tiny 14 or 12 gauge factory wire will never supply the power you need to the amp.

If you're wiring amps in the door panels i wouldn't use 11yr old factory wires for power. But for a 50w amp, 8g would be overkill. 12g will be fine. My alpine head unit runs 50w rms x4 off of factory wiring just fine.

I'm in the process of upgrading some things in the truck and I'm trying to figure out if a new head unit would make a significant difference to sound quality or if I should just go for the amp powered speakers, what's your guys recommendations?

In my experience, a nice head unit with the features you want and new door speakers will be a significant improvement.

Thanks guys, i was actually talking to a guy at my work about this and somehow i ended up buying his sweet headunit off him, it's pioneer avh-6600 and it was at an unbelievable price too. In my experience everything pioneer sounds so much better so maybe this should hold me over for another few weeks until i can buy speakers too

Back