Instrument Cluster LED's - Weird Problem... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Cluster LED's - Weird Problem...

Splod3r

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
Ok, This is in my 97 Explorer. I replaced all the lights in the instrument cluster with LED's. Everything is good except for the Cruise Control, ABS, Lo 4x4 and Airbag lights. The ABS blinks and the others stay illuminated... :/

Has anyone else had this issue before? The only thing I can think of is that they aren't completing the circuit or something?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't had that problem, but could be an incomplete sercate ok grounding out.

I believe reading on here somewhere that only the background dash illumination bulbs can be changed to LEDs. If you change the individual warning lights such as cruise control Etc., they go basically haywire

I believe reading on here somewhere that only the background dash illumination bulbs can be changed to LEDs. If you change the individual warning lights such as cruise control Etc., they go basically haywire

Aww shoot... That sucks... :/. You would think there's a way around that? ill see what I can figure out.

Aww shoot... That sucks... :/. You would think there's a way around that? ill see what I can figure out.

Possibly a resistor? I don't know how deep you want to get into this for a bulb that you hopefully don't see often and a couple others that are behind an icon

I'm going with this too. When I was doing my LED swap, I remember reading instructions somewhere NOT to change the MILs, just the background ones. I guess some of them need a specific voltage to work correctly, as it could start affecting the systems themselves. I'm not sure if there's a workaround, but I'm not sure it would be worth it. Just my opinion though, good luck with whatever.

Yeah, it's the system thinking the bulb is out so it doesn't work right.
I believe those new 'Canbus Error Free' LEDs should work fine for it though, since they have a built in resistor to make it seem like a regular bulb is in there.

Back