• Register Today It's free!

Intake manifold gaskets tech

87xjmike

Reaction score
City, State
Colfax, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 exploder
Can some who's done a lower intake gasket please chime in... I ordered the 93 head gasket kit, which came with lower intake manifold gaskets that did not cover the block portion of where the manifold meets the block, they only cover the cylinder head potion. My Chilton said to apply a thin bead of selant over the block portion, but with a thin bead you can literally see an air gap between the intake and block. With the intake fastened down there must be a 16th-1/8th" gap between the block and intake. I needed to apply a **** ton of Silicon in order to cover the gap between the intake manifold and block. Is this normal? I'm hoping i,didn't reverse my cylinders heads on install and make it screw with the alignment.

Mt 92 block had a different lower intake gasket that covered up that portion, and wasn't leaking. My 93 block was leaking there pretty bad and only had silicone in that region.

Is a 92 one piece gasket better?

I'm using toyota FIPG, it's pricey but the best silicone I've found.

I'm using the more expensive gasket from victor reinz.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2186186&cc=1119620&jnid=460&jpid=3

My victor reinze gaskets are actually very high quality, they just don't cover the center. It seems the one piece gasket would reduce the effective oil spray area of the upper end as it separates the lifter galley from the cylinder head area. Although I don't know the oil spray pattern of these motors so not sure if it even makes a difference.

So which is better? And did ford really engineer these blocks to have this big of a gap between the intake and block?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep..just use rtv.some kits come with little cork pieces to rtv there..

Ok well I'll run it then. It's all,assembled and im ready to drop the motor back in. My victor reinz HG kit did not come with any cork FoR the block, that would have been nice though.

Ok well I'll run it then. It's all,assembled and im ready to drop the motor back in. My victor reinz HG kit did not come with any cork FoR the block, that would have been nice though.

I dont trust cork..i just run a fat bead..sit the intake down figer tight and let it sit for 45 mins then tq it down

Spend the money and get the lower intake gasket from a 1997 model.

Anything prior to that is crap. Keep in mind, designs improve over time. The reason the crappy gaskets still exist at all, is because everyone wants to make things to match OE, which, in this case is stupid.

Post 1, 12 and 14.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427909

Oops, too late. I too had a Victor Reinz gasket set.

Damn, read the rest of your post. The two piece is fine as well. You should be good to go.

Back