Intake noise after K&N install when hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake noise after K&N install when hot

96ExplorerSport

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 X Sport 4.0L OHV, 4WD
Hi,

I have 96 Explorer Sport with 4.0 OHV engine. A month ago I replaced stock airbox with K&N FIPK kit. Since then I've discovered the following problem.

When the engine bay is hot at idle I can hear the noise coming from K&N kit. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner. The sound goes away as RPMs increase. The problem seems to be related to the engine bay temperature, not the engine temperature. It occurs only on hot days when the car idles w/o moving or moving slowly. Once the car starts moving at speads > 30mph, the noise completely disappears after a minute or so. There is no noise when the engine is cold or when driving around city/highway continously. I can always hear the noise on warm starts, when engine is still hot from previous driving and the car has been sitting for 5-10 minutes. If I pop up the hood, the noise goes away after a minute or so.

Any ideas? Can it be IAC? Problem seems to be related to the engine bay temperature. I am thinking about wrapping K&N pipe with a heat wrap. Maybe it'll help.

Thanks,
Sergey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By why then it exist only under very specific conditions when engine bay is hot? It's very loud too. No sound at all after a while if I pop the hood.

I have not noticed any odd issues with the K&N intake on my 96 XLT 6cyl.

Mine did the same thing. Did u reset yur computer yet? I reset mine but didnt work to well so i left the battery diconnected over night and next morning it was fine. Hope u find sumthing that will work. Also is it a humming sound kinda?

Yes, it's a humming sound, like a vacuum cleaner. I'll try disconnecting the battery longer. The thing that gets me is that noise is temperature dependent.

I'm having the exact same problem with my truck. My airbox has always had a noise to it , so in looking for a fix and potential performance increase I've installed an air intake. Now my intake has this vacuum sound to it. I'm wondering if switching the MAS would have any effect and considering just going back to the stock airbox.

Yep had this same problem after i installed a E-bay filter kit on my 99 after some searching i found that the problem is caused by a small black cap on the side of the IAC remove that and it should cure the problem.
Hope this helps

I just had a hissing noise with mine the odd time, you can hear more out of the intake with an aftermarket setup dont forget.

Hi,
I had the same thing on many Fords. It seems to be the IAC. Someone did a video with a sound bite, and made the engine howl sound into like music, extreemly funny!
You can take it off and try cleaning it out, but it usually does not work. The problem lies in the actuating mechanism . This is a little from memory. But when something drives you that nuts in so many vehicles you remember it.

i had the hissing noise for a while, its easy as hell to put up with, though ive been going for a year solid with a whiney alternator :p

Drivers I think we have a winner! The IAC cap was the ticket...big thanks on that. I guess I'll replace the valve eventually, this may also have helped with a slight hessitation I sometimes get at initial throttle, I'll have to do more driving to see. Believe this, a hissing sound would be welcomed compared to your motor sounding like a shop-vac at every stop you make.

LOL my iac used to sound like that (shop vac, what i meant by hiss), but the alternator has since drowned it out.

I had the same noise with mine, I also have the K&N FIPK installed on my 4.0 OHV. I just got done cleaning it out, I used carb cleaner followed by electical cleaner to remove any residue from the carb cleaner. I haven't had the noise back yet, but the local Auto Zone had a IAC for about $42. If the noise comes back, I am buying a new one.

My IAC lasted 3 days before the moaning came back, so I went to Auto Zone and picked up a new one for $46 and had the guy run the CEL with the scanner. It showed as an emission problem. I asked if he could reset it, he said he couldn't until I had it fixed! I really don't feel like taking it and having to pay someone to reset it. I think the CEL is because of the IAC. I tried to reset it by disconnecting the battery, when I cleaned the IAC. but the CEL came back on after 30 minutes of driving. Is there any way I can reset it myself without the OBD scanner? Thanks in advance for any advice.

i have that noise to ill try that IAC sounds like its coming out of the filter haha

i dont know if its the video or because i have a intake but my sound is like a higher pitch

Back