Interchangeable Transmission for Explorer 4x4? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interchangeable Transmission for Explorer 4x4?

DhruvaD

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006, Ford Explorer, 4x4
I have got a messed up transmission in my 2006 Ford Explorer 4x4 with a v6 engine and need to change it out. I can not find a good deal with my specifications. Can I use some other car's transmission for my car? Maybe some other model or different engine type?
If yes, what are my options?

I have got a messed up transmission in my 2006 Ford Explorer 4x4 with a v6 engine and need to change it out. I can not find a good deal with my specifications. Can I use some other car's transmission for my car? Maybe some other model or different engine type?
If yes, what are my options?
Nope you'll have to use the same trans that came with your vehicle which I believe is 5R55S

What's wrong with your current transmission?

You will need the same trans model, but it can be from other years or models. You can find out which trans you have with the basic VIN tag on the door jamb. With that, people who know those trucks well can tell you which other applications will have that trans.

Nope you'll have to use the same trans that came with your vehicle which I believe is 5R55S

What's wrong with your current transmission?
I am not sure but the car would not move when the car is on reverse or drive. However, it works just fine when put on manual on 1, 2, or 3. Also, I feel jerks sometimes when the gear used to shift automatically

Back