intercooler | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

intercooler

Guys, I just got finished adding an intercooler to my truck. Got the Flu and a bacterial infection this weekend and due to bad weather had to cancel on the installation of my 42# injectors and a tuning session with Doug. Looking for a reschedule towards the end of March. I still will be running a 50/50 mixture of meth.

Attachments

• 13a.jpg
    13a.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 858
  • 16a.jpg
    16a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 851

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet. Any problems yet with it hanging down that low?

nice.... thats an sts right?

IAmTodd said:

Nice, but I second the thought by Todd.

jah81592 said:
Guys, I just got finished adding an intercooler to my truck. Got the Flu this weekend and due to bad weather had to cancel on the installation of my 42# injectors and a tuning session with Doug. Looking for a reschedule towards the end of March. I still will be running a 50/50 mixture of meth.

Very nice! Damn, 42's in a V6, thats big! How much horsepower you making now anyways? I would love to see your truck with a built bottom end and the boost turned up! It could really make some sick numbers if you wanted it to.

i showed your truck to my buddy who has an S2000. he hates your truck lol. turbo envy haha.

Believe it or not the intercooler only hangs down about 1 1/4" from the center of the valence. the intercooler is 30.5" inlet to outlet X 12" tall and 3" thick (supposedly good for 500hp/80psi). I am not sure of what my hp ratings are b/c of problems with tuning an such, but between Lee Bender(C&L performance) and SCT their best guestimate would be around 320ish at the wheels. The reason behind their guess is that I am running out of injector at only 6PSI! Lee Bender told me to do the math and 6 - 30# injectors will support some where between 315-330 wheel hp. So my conservative guess will be 320ish right now. I have run a string of 8.73-8.75's so I believe I am pretty close on the estimate. Keep in mind my truck is loaded, not a stripper like most sports are, so I am on the fat side! It has a moonroof,puddlelamps,factory nerfs,premium sound,cruise, and leather interior,same basic setup as a loaded out XLT or Eddie Baur! Oh yeah, this is a STS turbo setup :burnout:

when you get the 42# injectors tell us your quarter mile. Whats 1/4 mile time right now?

jah81592 said:
Believe it or not the intercooler only hangs down about 1 1/4" from the center of the valence. the intercooler is 30" inlet to outlet X 12" tall and 3" thick (supposedly good for 500hp/80psi). I am not sure of what my hp ratings are b/c of problems with tuning an such, but between Lee Bender(C&L performance) and SCT their best guestimate would be around 320ish at the wheels. The reason behind their guess is that I am running out of injector at only 6PSI! Lee Bender told me to do the math and 6 - 30# injectors will support some where between 315-330 wheel hp. So my conservative guess will be 320ish right now. I have run a string of 8.73-8.75's so I believe I am pretty close on the estimate. Keep in mind my truck is loaded, not a stripper like most sports are, so I am on the fat side! It has a moonroof,puddlelamps,factory nerfs,premium sound,cruise, and leather interior,same basic setup as a loaded out XLT or Eddie Baur! Oh yeah, this is a STS turbo setup :burnout:

Very respectable truck man. I actually like the IC sticking down a little bit. Makes it look tougher, which is cool as long as road debris doesn't find its way in there. My air/water IC is allot smaller than that and is not able to be seen too well. Doesn't do much for the aggressive looks of the truck but gets the job done. 320rwhp on a Sport is no joke! Man your truck will be insane if you decided to build the bottom end and turn up the wick. Very fun project. :thumbsup:

IAmTodd said:

Not really going to be a problem I have some pics and only lost an 1" from the center and 2" from the bracket, but at the bracket measurement notice that the valence rolls up and that adds length to my measurement. Roughly only lost 1 3/4" and I never go off road anyways. The most I go off road is to my back yard. The main purpose for the intercooler was towing my tournament ski boat and firewood, I noticed my IAT'S getting a little too hot for my comfort. I am sure this will benefit me at the track in combination with the meth. As far as 1/4 timeslips the truck is capable of 13.6x, I run 99% 1/8th so i had to do a 1/4 mile conversion. Doug and I were tuning at Steele, it was about 80*/85*humidity with both of us in the truck it ran 13.9-14.0's,with just me in the truck I ran 13.80's with a lot of humidity and warm temps. Oh by the way all was on 6psi, because we were trying to tune for more but was running out of injector. :usa:
It was raining,and I just drove my truck.That is the reason for the moisture on the intercooler. It damn sure isn't about to frost up!

Attachments

• 20a.jpg
    20a.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 795
  • 21a.jpg
    21a.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 787

rocket 5979 said:
Very respectable truck man. I actually like the IC sticking down a little bit. Makes it look tougher, which is cool as long as road debris doesn't find its way in there. My air/water IC is allot smaller than that and is not able to be seen too well. Doesn't do much for the aggressive looks of the truck but gets the job done. 320rwhp on a Sport is no joke! Man your truck will be insane if you decided to build the bottom end and turn up the wick. Very fun project. :thumbsup:

Rocket thankyou for the complement you have an excellent ride as well, How low are your IAT's or more of what I am asking is how high above ambient? Mine 3-4* above ambient running down the highway 7* above ambient WOT and will go up to about 10-12* above sitting still,but will quickly fall back into place. It is way better than the 35-50*(summer time closer to the 50*mark)cruising and up to 70*(WOT and towing my tournament inboard in 90+degree weather) above ambient with out the meth. Full throttle with the meth it was 20* above ambient. Notice no difference in intake temps with the meth on or off now but it is definately working my only conclusion was that the intake charge was so hot non intercooled that anything could've lowered the IAT's and that is the reason for the drastic difference with the meth/non intercooled version.
As far as hp estimates I will see how far I can take the stock block. I have heard rumors as much as 500 hp? from the powerhouse 411 turbocharged 4.0L SOHC(stock block,heads,cam,etc) in a v-6 Stang but can't confirm that. I do know this car has went in the mid 11.81's (http://powerhouse411.com/news.php) so I wouldn't think that hp figure would be off or unrealistic. Have you seen the intake ports on these heads? There is only one wordHUGH,I have pics if you are interested.
I am not done by any means.I will enventually bring my compression down to about 9.0:1 from the 9.7:1 and have a complete forged bottom end with cams all of this would be my realistic goal of 500;but will have to upgrade to about 60-72# injectors and probably have to go another route on the tranny. I am currently talking with performance trans builder (name undisclosed because of definate confirmation) and he sure he can build it, I just have to send him the extra one I have sitting in the garage, the 5r55s and the E are cousins and both are based of the C3 trans so he will see what parts will interchange if any.I already have a torque converter manufacturer that said he can build a stock converter and flash for more stall,so that is not a problem. I will keep you posted. If not I would just hope someone could adapt the small bellhousing to a 5r55w or such and go that direction, really haven't thought that far ahead so for now my wheel hp goal would be 400 or lower, I would lean to the lower but not much.That is my hope anyway!

Looks good man, I love the look of the hanging intercooler :thumbsup:

I wanted to do the same thing with a Fluidyne heat exhanger, having it show through the lower valance, but it looks like ass from pictures I've seen. How much rwhp are you planning on, because the with the 60#s it would be overkill if you don't get up to about 700 rwhp. 42s can handle between 475-500 rwhp. Not trying to be a smartass, but the stock fuel lines can only handle so much before they get to the injectors. Let me know me, I've been following your truck.

BeauJ, I eventually plan on about 500-550 (hopefully) hp to the wheels. One thing I did forget when I bought my 30# injectors is that I only have 6... So with 2 less injectors the amount of power with 42's would be less than on a v-8. Haven't done the math but I need to ( for the 60's that is).

holy big intercooler batman.

how are u gettin around the MAFs?

05greyedge said:
how are u gettin around the MAFs?

Why would he need to?

well if hes running a MAFs then how? blow thru or flow thru? what size or what was the donor vehicle? who calibrated it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

05greyedge said:
well if hes running a MAFs then how? blow thru or flow thru? what size or what was the donor vehicle? who calibrated it?

Nowadays it is a piece of cake to swap out a MAS for a bigger sized one or one capable of reading more airflow before pegging out. Drawthrough is the best way to run a MAS if you can because you get the most accuracy and you dont peg it as soon as you would in a blowthrough configuration. A lot of people have gotten away from the precal'ed MAS's, like the Pro-M, and went with better ones that we can recal through modifying the MAS transfer in the PCM. Once that is done for a particular poundage of injector then you can swap to those injectors too. Walla, problem solved. ;)

Back