• Register Today It's free!

interior door panels

trouttrooper

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 4x4 5 speed
I'm about 4 days into owning my first Explorer. I bought this as a project vehicle that I want to turn into my primary transportation once I'm done. My explorer has manual windows and all 4 interior door panels are beyond repair. The handle to pull the door closed is completely ripped off on 3 doors and held on by about 10 screws for the 4th door. I've been to the salvage yards and the only ones I can find are for power windows etc. They look like a completely different design. Is there any alignment issues with using those panels and cutting a hole for the window crank? Is there an aftermarket "blank" to replace the piece with all the electric buttons? Even looking at aftermarket panels I can't find any for manual windows. Does anyone sell them that I'm just not finding?

This little issue has turned out to be my most frustrating one so far. All other parts have been easy to acquire.

Thanks for helping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are blank panels for where the switches would be. As for a hole for the crank, well, not sure. I don't see why not, in theory, but it's been a loooong time since I've seen a non ppwer window equipped Explorer. Try car-part.com, too.

thanks. tried that website, but the only panels are for power windows. where can i buy the blanks for the button replacement? I've been searching but can't find them

Ford used that style of switches on -everything-, so just look at some Fords at thr junk yard, you'll find one that should fit. Or at least could be made to fit.

thanks, on my way to the salvage yard now.

So for anyone else in the same boat as me, here's what I've discovered. Yes, interior panels from a power window model will physically fit on a manual window door. However, the speakers for the front doors are not in the same location (not a biggie), and the panels themselves are more 3 dimensional. Meaning in order to make the manual window crank work I'm going to have to first drill a hole, again not a big deal. The hard part is I'm going to have to figure out some kind of extension about 2 inches long to act as a spacer between the window crank handle and where it would normally attach to the door. I'm open to any suggestions. :)

Back