• Register Today It's free!

Interior light problem

DEM723

Reaction score
City, State
Bellefontaine, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4dr (2)
I recently bought this 96 Explorer, 4dr XLT, 4x4....And noticed one noght, the radio buttons were not lit, and also the 4x4 or OD OFF indicators are not lit up when th eheadlights are turned on, but they are lit with the headlights off. In the process of replacing a bulb in the meter panel, I noticed after reassebly of it all, that everything was working as should be. Until this morning, when I found the radio & indicator lights are not lit up again. The radio channel/clock display if fine, with the exception I found that the display stay bright, even when i turn the headlights on. I think maybe a loose wire or the light switch maybe the problem.
Anyone have a similar problem, or a fix?

Found the problem

I was told, and somewhat agreed with the headlight switch being the common problem, and so I bought one and plugged it in, only to find the problem still existed. Although, what I did find, was when I moved the wiring on the dimmer switch, the radio lights changed as they should, which led me to find the terminal pins in the connector on the wire harness, were not fitting tightly onto the male spades on the dimmer switch. I disassembled the connector, and tightened the female pins. Now everythinig works as they should. Unfortunately, I can't return the switch, but I did get it fixed.

Back