• Register Today It's free!

interior light question?

cjben

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
This is for our 2004. When the doors are opened,the only lights that come on are the dome light in the middle of the vehicle and the cargo light in the very back. The light in the front compartment where the driver is does not come on when the door is open. Is this normal? It has been this way the 5 months we have owned the vehicle. Kind of a pain in the butt to not have lights in the driver or front passenger's area. The dome lights in front(map lights) do work when the switches are turned on,so I know the bulbs are good. The front lights also do not come on when the dimmer wheel switch is turned all the way up,but the middle and back lights do. If this is normal,is there a way to program the lights to come on when the door is opened? Is there a separate bulb for the door light up front? I took the cover off,could only see bulbs for the map lights,and like I said before,the map lights work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that is normal. If you need more light upgrade the bulbs to LED's. I did and it's like daylight inside.

I installed 4 of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2YHGGE

Front Dome, Rear Dome, and 2 map lights.

you think it's normal for the front light not to come on when the doors are opened? I guess that could be "normal"....it is a ford so they probably saved a dollar by not having the front lights wired into the doors....lol Thanks for the reply :)

you think it's normal for the front light not to come on when the doors are opened? I guess that could be "normal"....it is a ford so they probably saved a dollar by not having the front lights wired into the doors....lol Thanks for the reply :)

I can't speak for sure because my XLS only has two lights. One just above the rear of the center console and one just above the rear hatch/door.

Both come on when I open the doors (or press unlock on my remote).

hmmm one that comes on in the console area would be nice...but the one in the middle of the vehicle does nothing for the passengers in front.

Aloha,

My light comes on when the doors are opened.

2004 EB.

Probably a setting then. do the lights have 3 way switches? Many vehicles have 3 way switches on the lights with the three settings OFF/DOOR/ON. My rear door/hatch light has this but my front (over console) has no switch for the main light, only for the map lights.

my 2004 does not have the switches to control the front light,just the map lights can be controlled up front.. It does have the switches to control the middle and back lights.

In my 2002 XLT, the front / map lights, the middle passenger light set, and the puddle lights come on when the doors are unlocked with the remote or when the doors are opened. The rear compartment lights only come on when the rear hatch is opened.

maybe they wired mine backwards? because mine does the opposite...the middle and back light come on,the fronts don't. lol

Back