Interior Light(s) Master Switch Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Light(s) Master Switch Install

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
From time to time there are situations that require me to have the back glass, rear hatch or even a door open for an extended period of time. Particularly camping which is a time when there is least likely someone around to give you a jump start. I'm looking for a simple way to install a switch to disconnect all of the interior lights at once. I removed the under hood bulb and that took care of that light being on unnecessarily while working under it. Thanks in advance for any input and yes, the last time that we camped we disconnected the battery while we were sitting still camping with the doors open.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When a door is left open and the interior lights are on, after about 15-20 min they (interior lights) are supposed to shut off automatically to save the battery, it's called "battery saver" function IRC.

I'm aware of that feature but it seems as if mine takes a lot longer to power down. And if you open and close another door the time starts over...

Oh yea, I forgot about that, the timer just repeats if the door is closed and then opened again.

I looked at the wiring diagrams, and you can install a toggle switch inline off the LT GRN/ORG coming from the "battery saver" relay.
nYOEd0DMXxg-TfQmceodnImiIbuFg5Zzy2tdGXdIDc2KWThkWUYS2_aGEHpZkDD_iwuosLmtHvRa3LgcGRCs1fhwRuoDSkkHnsRzqD8V1Rp1z8HIwH3_pmtDVj-TaAxLB0sv-58zN7G8n1AtbL3WG2nxCB8Jy8Hes9qDYM81L2H_V_nvrNXtjWvjcTrrJP0vQA6vuLFEXTheUJTY6WP8Ai-1RxiUfubDWAlMGHi9F5jZjIErG1UjgRCFYpfd-Nbz2NeVPq2fZycfDbqF5vzF_6vVruEyaTEYJFkZn9Rn7-z1-M281Bj7KVLbDgGrO2ckv--0sVAVL8mNJEqR9lVnGLHKywSbLcU7LDBxViSjLiBXsQVaEgE7zwRB1496co-nnDZuem6gqNia72hTVX88sD-e9bohbYN8mrj0mG8cwai_iAk-SRgsHXL9GiPRzdK1C1IUkO1IZZ9bkF7lfXXmqSOCX6kUfRBsCXOXo0PoTrZLZ0hw6GuOQzdWzXunAoP6XNP-Arl1qWHPy95KY2IL7hqBQ11AMofWDCea6fZUdPMCffhP4EPtIX4KEaJTbED4TqJX3V57YFKfeX_PSRW4jo17xAeItQZoSYyg6xQgIQv4RzZ_2zHey94xrxIqDyT3OYn5BNNeYNWJ0P-cwbt8lpHwNaYodLM=w717-h918-no

Great! Thanks... It doesn't take much to run down my WM "budget" battery. I rarely drive the vehicle at night. From the schematic, it looks like I can pull the relay for the moment.

The timer is 45 minutes

My battery can run down in less time than that...

The 95+ Explorers have that feature already built into the interior light switch.

The thumb wheel switch controls the interior lights. Push it up all the way and they stay on forever, and pushed down all the way, they all turn off no matter what. I use that a lot when I'm loading stuff to go the dump etc, just got back today a short while ago. I often forget to turn the switch back on, in the morning there will be no dash lights for me.

The 95+ Explorers have that feature already built into the interior light switch.

The thumb wheel switch controls the interior lights. Push it up all the way and they stay on forever, and pushed down all the way, they all turn off no matter what. I use that a lot when I'm loading stuff to go the dump etc, just got back today a short while ago. I often forget to turn the switch back on, in the morning there will be no dash lights for me.

On my 96, all the way down does not turn my interior lights off. Since I commute to work between 2-3AM, I have mine all the way down.

On my '97 it does not have the all the way off feature...

My 98 has the off feature, you might see about getting a newer switch that has the feature. I would assume (and it is a big assumption) that it would be compatible with earlier models wiring. The switch also tends to wear out eventually as mine needs to be replaced now if I could ever get the car back from my daughter.

^ There is at least one topic on this generation's forum where someone refurbished their switch, including good pics.

Found it, in the "List of Useful Threads" sticky topic:
How to refurbish a 1998 Dimmer Switch

It's basically just taking it apart and cleaning the copper tracks and barrel rollers then a light coat of grease, then slap it back together... though obviously that only handles electrical degradation, if the plastic broke it's a different issue.

I looked at the wiring diagrams, and you can install a toggle switch inline off the LT GRN/ORG coming from the "battery saver" relay.
nYOEd0DMXxg-TfQmceodnImiIbuFg5Zzy2tdGXdIDc2KWThkWUYS2_aGEHpZkDD_iwuosLmtHvRa3LgcGRCs1fhwRuoDSkkHnsRzqD8V1Rp1z8HIwH3_pmtDVj-TaAxLB0sv-58zN7G8n1AtbL3WG2nxCB8Jy8Hes9qDYM81L2H_V_nvrNXtjWvjcTrrJP0vQA6vuLFEXTheUJTY6WP8Ai-1RxiUfubDWAlMGHi9F5jZjIErG1UjgRCFYpfd-Nbz2NeVPq2fZycfDbqF5vzF_6vVruEyaTEYJFkZn9Rn7-z1-M281Bj7KVLbDgGrO2ckv--0sVAVL8mNJEqR9lVnGLHKywSbLcU7LDBxViSjLiBXsQVaEgE7zwRB1496co-nnDZuem6gqNia72hTVX88sD-e9bohbYN8mrj0mG8cwai_iAk-SRgsHXL9GiPRzdK1C1IUkO1IZZ9bkF7lfXXmqSOCX6kUfRBsCXOXo0PoTrZLZ0hw6GuOQzdWzXunAoP6XNP-Arl1qWHPy95KY2IL7hqBQ11AMofWDCea6fZUdPMCffhP4EPtIX4KEaJTbED4TqJX3V57YFKfeX_PSRW4jo17xAeItQZoSYyg6xQgIQv4RzZ_2zHey94xrxIqDyT3OYn5BNNeYNWJ0P-cwbt8lpHwNaYodLM=w717-h918-no
Or pull fuse #26 in the interior fuse panel, which would at least be easier than getting up under the dash to pull the battery saver relay.

It's worth noting that this fuse also handles the windows ( at least the driver's if not all?) so if it were to rain and they're down... keep that fuse handy.

Usually I feel like switching to LED interior lights is an unnecessary cosmetic swap (brighter ones tend to have short lives) but in this case it could make a lot of sense to switch to LED to reduce power consumption, though most likely all together including relays (depending on which LED bulbs are chosen), they'd still draw over half an amp, and IIRC even with no lights on if you have the battery saver live for that 45 minute time-out period it's another 200-something mA.

I think LEDS are purely opinion, I out super bright ones in my Explorer's interior, and it is super nice in the dark, my power consumption did not go down however because I got bright ones.

On my '97 it does not have the all the way off feature...
Hmm, I thought it began in 1995. But tons of things changed in 1998, most wiring, and the dash color changed from blue to green.

I wonder if that became standard in 98, or if it was a higher option for some models. I bought a used 96 or 97 switch many years ago to try to change colors in my 98. I believe the switches can be swapped but they did have different sized bodies.

^ I'd imagine all '98's have it just so Ford didn't need two different part #s. My XLT '98 has it.

^ I'd imagine all '98's have it just so Ford didn't need two different part #s. My XLT '98 has it.
I would think so too, but so many times they make unique parts and wiring harnesses for small groups of cars.

This is a few month old post of mine. I'm in a situation again where I have either the back glass open for an extended period of time or the back hatch. I don't need for the interior light to come on when I open either. Can I get to a wiring harness in the side quarter panel area or remove the rear hatch interior panel and disconnect an appropriate wire to make the interior lights not come on when only the back hatch/glass is open?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ Unplug the wire to the latch, at least I think it grounds when it's open. That would make sense and is how the wiring diagram appears, but if it's normally grounded and open circuit when the latch is open, ground it.

Another option would be to put a hole in a trim panel to add a panel mount switch, and put the wire through that.

On the diagram for my '98 (attached) I'm seeing that there are two switches, left and right for the liftgate, and a switch that disables the wiper.

Attachments

• interior-lights-courtesy-lamps-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 74

Back