Interior Lights Stay On | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Lights Stay On

How are the interior lights activated when you open the tailgate on a gen 2? My problem is that the interior lights stay on when you close the gate, unless you slam it really hard. Is there something that can be adjusted? I've tried the WD-40 fix.

Sorry just realized I may have posted in the wrong section.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On mine I figured out it was the glass. The rear gate would stick and I would move the handle both ways releasing the latch on the rear hatch glass. If I slamed it really hard it would re latch the glass. Check the glass the next time it happens.

Thanks and I will do.

The switch is built into the latch mechanism. I had to replace the switch on my drivers door. but my lights never turned on until I replaced the switch, so something is not latching correctly then, the switch is a very basic thing, it is Normally open, and when something pushes it up is closes the circuit, and the lights turn on.

On mine I figured out it was the glass. The rear gate would stick and I would move the handle both ways releasing the latch on the rear hatch glass. If I slamed it really hard it would re latch the glass. Check the glass the next time it happens.

Nope, that's wasn't it. :(

My interior lights stay on too in my 2002 Explorer. I've been reading around this forum and it's either something to do w/ the door latch switches or a broken ground wire between the door and the body pillar. My left "puddle light" doesn't work, but everything else works fine. I don't get a "door ajar" indicator after all the doors are shut, so sounds like it's going to be a pretty simple fix. I'm going to try the WD-40 spray on the door latches first and them move on from there.

Back