• Register Today It's free!

Interior lights

marcjagman

Reaction score
City, State
Barnsley
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 4.0
My interior lights wont turn of. am I right in thinking that the interior light switch is part of the door latch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. Each door has a switch attached to the latch mechanism (as well as the liftgate and liftgate window). They are accessed from inside the doors and are held in place by a single Phillip's screw.

I'm pretty sure the '99 dimmer switch has the ability to turn off the interior lights if you turn it all the way down. I know the '00 and '01 dimmer switches do this. Also, after some minutes the battery saver will turn the lights off.

My '00 Mountaineer and my '01 XLT sometimes leave the interior lights on and it's usually the liftgate switches that get stuck, but any door may have a problem. Sometimes spraying them with some WD40 can get them working again, but they're pretty easy to replace.

New OEM ones are cheap on eBay, if you dig around to find them.

I have been have intermittent issues with the interior lights staying on in my 96. Replaced the door switch with a junkyard one, and that solved the problem for a bit. Swapped in another junkyard switch when the problem reappeared. Good for now. I got so tired of the lights being on, and not having time to fix it at that moment, that I pulled the interior bulbs and covers, all but the overhead console ones. Those are easy to take out with the cover unattached.

The dimmer switch in my '97 does not turn OFF the interior lights. I don't know when they added this function.

The dimmer switch in my '97 does not turn OFF the interior lights. I don't know when they added this function.

My 99 does. The dimmer when turned all the way down has a click at the bottom of the range that turns off the interior lights.

Thank you all for the help.

Hi, i have a 2002 ford explorer sport track and i had went shopping and when i got back my dash lights stopped working. The next day they were not working during the morning however my lights that turn on when the door is open are always on even when my doors are closed and there is no door ajar light. my turn signal and brights work and my brake lights and headlights work. I tried the WD40 quick fix and it didnt work. Also later this day the dash lights started magically working again however the other lights stay on. Help please. Any suggestions?

Back