• Register Today It's free!

Interior parts needed.

FHBasketball

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SPORT
OK. Big plans for this spring. I am going to redo the entire inside of my '96 Sport.

I plan on buying sheets of diamond plated aluminum (the metal stuff that truck tool boxes are made out of), ripping out my carpet and the rear seats (for good, weight reduction), cutting the aluminum to fit right, then welding it to the floor. I've seen it done on a few S10's, but never on an SUV. Also, I plan on ripping off the tan headliner and replacing (or just covering) it with either dark gray or black cloth.

But here is my question that will determine if I really need interior parts or not.

Krylon, a company that makes paint, has this spraypaint that bonds specifically to plastic. It doesn't work on its own though. You need a clear coat over the top of it to make it scratch resistant. Since I want Black interior, and ford didn't make black for the sport, I was maybe planning on buying a whole crapload of the paint, and painting every plastic interior part of my X deep black, with the clearcoat over the top.

My Other option is to find a donor vehicle, or someone with extra interior parts, and cover them with Black carbon fiber. Although I don't like carbon interiors (too ricey) it may last longer than just paint.

I want to get started with the paint this fall if possible, because you need right humidity and temp for it to work right. Ive already done the dash trim (basically anything on the dash that was black, or that graphite color). I painted it red, and it turned out good, hard to scratch unless you really try.

Just looking for suggestions, and maybe some people that have donor parts they are willing to sell to me.

Another thing. Best buy sells this stuff foor doors that reduces vibration and noise, so that the speakers sound good. Has anyone used this, or does it work????

Any suggestions, experiences, or just plain insults on my stupidity are welcomed with opened arms, but I think the paint stuff really might work.

Thanks ahead of time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FHBasketball said:
OK. Big plans for this spring. I am going to redo the entire inside of my '96 Sport.

I plan on buying sheets of diamond plated aluminum (the metal stuff that truck tool boxes are made out of), ripping out my carpet and the rear seats (for good, weight reduction), cutting the aluminum to fit right, then welding it to the floor. I've seen it done on a few S10's, but never on an SUV. Also, I plan on ripping off the tan headliner and replacing (or just covering) it with either dark gray or black cloth.

But here is my question that will determine if I really need interior parts or not.

Krylon, a company that makes paint, has this spraypaint that bonds specifically to plastic. It doesn't work on its own though. You need a clear coat over the top of it to make it scratch resistant. Since I want Black interior, and ford didn't make black for the sport, I was maybe planning on buying a whole crapload of the paint, and painting every plastic interior part of my X deep black, with the clearcoat over the top.

My Other option is to find a donor vehicle, or someone with extra interior parts, and cover them with Black carbon fiber. Although I don't like carbon interiors (too ricey) it may last longer than just paint.

I want to get started with the paint this fall if possible, because you need right humidity and temp for it to work right. Ive already done the dash trim (basically anything on the dash that was black, or that graphite color). I painted it red, and it turned out good, hard to scratch unless you really try.

Just looking for suggestions, and maybe some people that have donor parts they are willing to sell to me.

Another thing. Best buy sells this stuff foor doors that reduces vibration and noise, so that the speakers sound good. Has anyone used this, or does it work????

Any suggestions, experiences, or just plain insults on my stupidity are welcomed with opened arms, but I think the paint stuff really might work.

Thanks ahead of time.

Painting the interior parts and getting a high quality, long lasting finish is really hard. Search for interior painting and you'll find some really good info on it; there's also a company called Phoenix something or other that does the interior panel coloring. You should be able to find them using search too.

The stuff Best Buy sells is called Dynamat and it does work, yes. Its essential, IMO, but I'm not a stereo expert. Search around the audio forum and you'll probably find your answer.

jayhawkexplorer said:
Painting the interior parts and getting a high quality, long lasting finish is really hard. Search for interior painting and you'll find some really good info on it; there's also a company called Phoenix something or other that does the interior panel coloring. You should be able to find them using search too.

The stuff Best Buy sells is called Dynamat and it does work, yes. Its essential, IMO, but I'm not a stereo expert. Search around the audio forum and you'll probably find your answer.

Regarding the Dynamat - yes it works. However you can get the same results by using a product called "Peal and Seal" (it's a roofing material that has sticky mastic on one side and aluminium on the other) that you can find at Lowes Home Centers (and some Home Depots). It is only a 6" wide roll (by ??? feet) but it works really well on deadening sound. It is also super-cheap at like $12 / roll last time I checked. Dynamat will put you in the poor house quick.

I installed it on my old Maxima's trunk and it gave my subwoofers a much more solid "thump". I did not install it on my doors but I would imagine it would deaden sound just as well. Installing is not very difficult, just time consuming:

1) Clean all the surfaces with rubbing alcohol.
2) Cut the piece to fit
3) Stick to the body panel
4) PUT ON GLOVES
5) Hit with a heat gun until the backing starts to melt and mush it in with your hands or a rolling tool.
6) It will dry after it cools (about a minute) and will never come off.

It will smell like tar for a day or so but goes away after that. I had problems with my subwoofers in my home theater vibrating (actually resonating) my large screen rear-projection TV and putting Peal and Seal in the inside of the cabinet stopped all the noise. Good stuff if you are looking for sound deadening.

Thank you both very much.

But what do you mean by heat gun??? Would a heat blow dryer work?

Thanks again.

Heat gun
8975-6.jpg

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/web...tegoryId=362&mainHeader=Tools&firstRefNum=362

You can probably rent one from a local rental store for cheap. Much much hotter then a hair dryer.

jayhawkexplorer said:
Heat gun
8975-6.jpg

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/web...tegoryId=362&mainHeader=Tools&firstRefNum=362

You can probably rent one from a local rental store for cheap. Much much hotter then a hair dryer.

Yes, you can use a hair dryer but you would be there for eternity (ie: using a lighter as opposed to a blow torch). You don't have to go crazy, the one I got at Home Depot was like $30 and works great. It just takes a minute or two to heat up. Of course, the more you spend the better the unit will be (typically)

Back