• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent acceleration lag

randomacts13x

Reaction score
City, State
USA, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer PIU
So I'm thinking it's every single 2020 base PIU. BUT, from a stop, particularly if making a u-turn or after a California roll, this thing will not get out of its own way. Almost feels like it's trying to start in way too high of a gear. Full or heavy throttle is what triggers it. If I punch it from a gradual start it will even put you back in the seat, but otherwise it sucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting...maybe a calibration issue? My Ecoboost, of course, doesn't have that problem. :)

We are currently experiencing this at our PD has anyone found a cause or solution?

We are currently experiencing this at our PD has anyone found a cause or solution?
Welcome to the Forum. :salute:
Perhaps member randomacts13x may have some updated info.

Peter

Never mind that. Tell us more about y'all's H1!
Keep in mind the thread topic and discussion should be limited to that.

Peter

No solution on this so far. I got the DRL issue worked out, but as far as the lag... seems it's just something Ford programmed. Someone told me Ford did it to save the transmission from wear and tear by preventing you from redlining it when you take off... to me it's a safety issue when I pull out of a median and oncoming traffic is barreling up my rear and I'm moving like a slug because the cruiser wants to take off in 5th gear.

No solution on this so far. I got the DRL issue worked out, but as far as the lag... seems it's just something Ford programmed. Someone told me Ford did it to save the transmission from wear and tear by preventing you from redlining it when you take off... to me it's a safety issue when I pull out of a median and oncoming traffic is barreling up my rear and I'm moving like a slug because the cruiser wants to take off in 5th gear.

That's odd. My Ecoboost PIU redlines no problem.

That's an ecoboost, the rest of us with sissy decision makers feel that we don't need that engine lol

Well...truth be told, I'm not sure I necessarily "need" that engine either, but it sure is nice to have. That said, I don't entirely blame your decision makers either, it's effectively a $4,100 option (compared to the base, non-hybrid 3.3).

So I'm thinking it's every single 2020 base PIU. BUT, from a stop, particularly if making a u-turn or after a California roll, this thing will not get out of its own way. Almost feels like it's trying to start in way too high of a gear. Full or heavy throttle is what triggers it. If I punch it from a gradual start it will even put you back in the seat, but otherwise it sucks.
TSB 21-2046 deals with delayed shifting & hesitation So make sure thats been done

Recall 21E11 deals with an emissions issue and some PCM reprogramming (EcoBoost only PIU/ST)

This is all I was able to find on 21E11 so far;
MANUFACTURER RECALL
RECALL 21E11
Emissions Recall: 2020-21 EXPLORER 3.0L LH INLET EXHAUST LEAKS

Peter

Well...truth be told, I'm not sure I necessarily "need" that engine either, but it sure is nice to have. That said, I don't entirely blame your decision makers either, it's effectively a $4,100 option (compared to the base, non-hybrid 3.3).
I have done some research and was able to prove that a worse performing vehicle is actually more dangerous. My premise is that reducing time above 90 MPH is crucial to safety. A crash at speeds above 90 MPH is almost guaranteed to be fatal, the only difference between a 90 MPH fatal crash and a 150 MPH fatal crash is whether you have an open or closed casket funeral. So the less time you spend at that speed or above the safer it is for the driver and the public.

See this article for more: StackPath

My 2021 PIU Ecoboost experiences the same thing. Mash on the throttle and there is zero response for what seems like 2-3 seconds. I am considering a "Pedal Commander" to see if that will improve the issue. My understanding is that my vehicle has already had the various recalls performed on it. I don't know about the TSB though so I will check on that.

The problem seems to rear its head mostly after performing a sharp turn and accelerating out. This only seems to happen when the system is not in "Pursuit Mode." I will see if I can do some further testing and figure out the exact sequence that causes it.

My 2021 PIU Ecoboost experiences the same thing. Mash on the throttle and there is zero response for what seems like 2-3 seconds. I am considering a "Pedal Commander" to see if that will improve the issue. My understanding is that my vehicle has already had the various recalls performed on it. I don't know about the TSB though so I will check on that.

The problem seems to rear its head mostly after performing a sharp turn and accelerating out. This only seems to happen when the system is not in "Pursuit Mode." I will see if I can do some further testing and figure out the exact sequence that causes it.
Exactly the same scenario, which is why I always use the example of pulling out from a median in to traffic... and having to either go in to the shoulder until I get up to speed or watch cars switch lanes to go around me (which is quite embarrassing when I activate the lights).

I think our shop is testing the pedal commander on a couple of our cruisers but it's been a few months now and no word on deploying it on all the cruisers so it's hard to say if it correcting the issue or not.

Has anyone solved this with anything on FORScan or a Pedal Commander? 2 local agencies are having the problem. My issued 21 and new 22 model both do this. It is extremely dangerous. I know it's a built in feature, but there are times I can hardly move the vehicle after pulling it down in drive. It's like the vehicle has went into limp mode for 5 or 10 seconds and gradually releases it.

Has anyone solved this with anything on FORScan or a Pedal Commander? 2 local agencies are having the problem. My issued 21 and new 22 model both do this. It is extremely dangerous. I know it's a built in feature, but there are times I can hardly move the vehicle after pulling it down in drive. It's like the vehicle has went into limp mode for 5 or 10 seconds and gradually releases it.
Just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Hopefully, a member with knowledge of this will be able to help.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back