Intermittent long crank to start 2008 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent long crank to start 2008 4.0L

Krankem

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer EB 4.0L
Hello - I am stumped on how to troubleshoot this one, and need some expert help. My 2008 4.0l Eddie Bauer sometimes cranks for 2 to 5 seconds before starting. Like it isn't getting fuel. After it starts, it idles and runs fine. This seems to occur more often after a short stop for shopping, etc... and also when it is hotter out. It usually starts perfectly on the first start in the morning. Sometimes I need to stop cranking and try again before it catches. Would a bad vapor purge valve give these symptoms? There are no CEL codes. Fuel pump and filter are about a year old.

Thanks for listening.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I heard it from number of 4.0 owners. Mine also takes 1-2 seconds sometimes while my 4.6 catches within milliseconds. Very uncomfortable but always starts. Very curious if anybody found out why.....

Hello - I am stumped on how to troubleshoot this one, and need some expert help. My 2008 4.0l Eddie Bauer sometimes cranks for 2 to 5 seconds before starting. Like it isn't getting fuel. After it starts, it idles and runs fine. This seems to occur more often after a short stop for shopping, etc... and also when it is hotter out. It usually starts perfectly on the first start in the morning. Sometimes I need to stop cranking and try again before it catches. Would a bad vapor purge valve give these symptoms? There are no CEL codes. Fuel pump and filter are about a year old.

Thanks for listening.
Ever figure this out? I’m having same problem with mine.

imo that sounds like a fuel pump. if you prime the pump a few times does that alleviate the issue? welcome to ef by the way!

How about fuel injection vapor lock. If it is a return-less FI system,
then the crappy fuel is boiling from hot-soak. Like Fix4Dirt said,
primer.

I have the same issue sometimes, it’s not everyday but I definitely notice it. New fuel filter and spark plugs. If anybody knows a good solution let me know. All suggestions are appreciated.

I have the same issue sometimes, it’s not everyday but I definitely notice it. New fuel filter and spark plugs. If anybody knows a good solution let me know. All suggestions are appreciated.
havenyou tried priming it a few times?

If it happens at warm start (hot, then off for 20 minutes or so), but not happen at cold start, try depressing gas pedal slightly when igniting!

My ford has this issue and all my research points to leaky fuel injectors, which floods cylinder at warm start! It won’t be an isssue in cold start as the leaked fuel would have evaporated by then.

Back