intermittent odd start

Mr. Alligator

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
1997 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC. **** I work at a ski resort all Winter in Colorado.

Intermittent issue, which is more frequent in extreme cold temperatures (zero F) while at at high altitude (8,500 feet)..... engine runs well, but about every several weeks, it just acts like it is getting no spark when I go to start it cold. After cranking and cranking, I finally found a "solution" ... to fully press the gas pedal to the floor, then it starts right up. I know, no big deal. But it always makes me think something is going out.... then it does not repeat this for a more weeks. I do not think it occurs in less brutal conditions.

Anyone have any ideas? Throttle position sensor? Last time I checked, no codes were displayed.

Just hoping one of the Ford wizards here has a good idea. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and time.

Mine does this too, especially under freezing, I'm in SC, I'd like to know my own self what causes that

The idle air control valve cracks open a bit when you start. Opening the throttle accomplishes a similar task... They can act up under different temperatures, soak times, etc.

Or first Explorer (a POS 2001 XLT SOHC) would not want to start on the first start of the day and when it did it ran like absolute crap until it warmed up a bit. I eventually attributed this to leaky intake manifold O-rings, but I never got around to replacing them before the engine self destructed (timing chains). I did however find that if before trying to start the engine for the first start of the day, if I stepped on the accelerator pedal once it would start easily and run smoothly. I never did figure out why this had any effect, but it did. Obviously doing this reset something. We just got in the habit of doing this every time before starting the engine.

Back