Intermittent rough idle in gear, stall in reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent rough idle in gear, stall in reverse

cburns

Reaction score
City, State
Las Cruces, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT V6

Starts up fine. Idles fine in park. When in drive and not moving, it stumbles every like 20-30 seconds. RPM drop do 300-400 for a second then go back to normal. Never stalls here. While in gear and stopped it idles at 600rpm.

Also, when shifting to reverse the engine will die about half of the time. If it does die, it generally won't die on the second try.

It has a brand new IAC, and I will try cleaning the MAF. Anything else I should be looking at? Check engine light never comes on and it runs perfectly while on the move.

Thanks in advance.

Starts up fine. Idles fine in park. When in drive and not moving, it stumbles every like 20-30 seconds. RPM drop do 300-400 for a second then go back to normal. Never stalls here. While in gear and stopped it idles at 600rpm.

Also, when shifting to reverse the engine will die about half of the time. If it does die, it generally won't die on the second try.

It has a brand new IAC, and I will try cleaning the MAF. Anything else I should be looking at? Check engine light never comes on and it runs perfectly while on the move.

Thanks in advance.

Bumping this. My lady's DD is doing the exact same thing

While I haven't cleaned the MAF yet it has smoothed out quite a bit since I posted this thread. I posted the thread the day after replacing the IAC and haven't done anything since. Maybe it just need time with a new IAC to smooth out?

The issue does still happen just a lot less now. I haven't died in reverse recently and my idle fluctuates about 80% less than it used to. I still don't consider it fixed but it's a lot less of an issue right now.

After reading 6 or 7 other threads, looks like the bulk of issues were fixed with new ACT/IAT sensor and the DPFE sensor.

Back