is 10 guage wire enough? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is 10 guage wire enough?

mechanic021

Reaction score
is 10 guage wire enough to power a really small 240 watt max cheapo amp? I have a real small amp and I have plenty of 10guage wire around so I was wonderign would this be enough to power this small amp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would recommend bigger wire for power as well as ground.

Good luck ........

240 watts max? so say 120 rms, if that... with something like 50% efficiency you'll be drawing something like 24 amps max, unless the cable is really long you should be fine with 10awg. But if you plan on upgrading sometime, you'll be yanking that teeny wire back out and upgrading again.

Just looked at my handy dandy electric wire chart, you can safely run a 10 gauge wire 15 feet if you stay under 30 amps.

the amp syas 70 watts rms and it has a 5 amp current draw. I dont plan on upgrading so I think i should be alright.

you are fine

Just looked at my handy dandy electric wire chart, you can safely run a 10 gauge wire

thoght i was the only one on here with a code book,, hehe good work your right 10 ga is rated for 30 amp max. but it depends on what kind of wire you are useing stranded or solid? i know it sounds stupid but i see it all the time people get it from work see its 10 ga and think it will this work well it will but poorly very poorly, dc electricity flows on the outside diam. of copper wire on solid wire you dont have as much outer diameter now on stranded wire the elect. flows on the outside of all those little wires and wa lah, power amp! long story short your ok as long as its stranded but the way you said made me wonder solid i would'nt dare put on there but a kit og 8ga is only like 30 bills at wal - mart dont need those real gold terminals and such they dont add hp! just a cheapie will do in your case good luck buddy!

it makes a big difference the quality of the stranded wire as well- cheap ebay stuff with lots of oxidation introduced in the manufacturing process will not flow nearly as well as stuff from the better brands. Solid is definitely no good for automotive applications. not to mention the actual size difference between some brands 4 gauge (for example) some brands have 3x as much insulation and 1/2 the actual copper in them.

i agree wire or rca's pay for what you get.

Yup, 10 awg will work... imagine f you decide to upgrade tough... why run a new wire? Get at least a quality 8 awg wire. Amps die before wires do.

Back