• Register Today It's free!

Is my amp powerful enough?

Buffalosports

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport - 4WD
Ok so I have been told by two people that my Alpine amp is probably strong enough to run the setup I would like to put in my car. I am however, a bit skeptic. The amp is 4 channels and 160 Watts (rms). I use to use it to run 4, 6x9, 2 way, kickers. I would like to put a small 8" sub in my car and I am not looking for something loud, just clean. I would run just one single 8" sub, bridged, would this amp be powerful enough?

As I am looking at some 8"ers on crutchfield, some look like they are 150 rms. Thats cutting it pretty close but then again I will run it bridged. But due to thw watt closness, I am slightly skeptic.

Probably ordering this sub if it will work:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P1S48/Rockford-Fosgate-P1S48.html?tp=111&tab=features_and_specs

well, a 4 ch bridged makes 2 channels, it might have the power, but i don't like giving a sub 2 different signals.

Using a Dual Voice Coil subwoofer is okay with two seperate channels.

This single voice coil may cause some issues.
What is the model number of the amplifier?

As far as numbers go, I am assuming the amplifier is 160x4 at 2 ohms (40 watts per channel)?
That would only give you 80x4 at 4 ohms (20watts per channel) and 160x2 at 4 ohms (80 watts per channel).
{I think my math is right there}

Does the amplifier have a Mono-Channel method available?
I think I saw on one amplifier (A long time ago) that you could bridge all four channels. Granted, it ran in an 8 Ohm load after the bridge, but it still worked.

From the setup you described, I woulnd't be so much as worried about power, as I would wiring methods. It is okay to under power a subwoofer. So, I wouldn't worry about that part if you just want to run on set of channels bridged. 80watts is enough to get a little pump going.

Back