Is engine in 04 Explorer and Sport Trac the same? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is engine in 04 Explorer and Sport Trac the same?

Red Long

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer xlt 4.0
Im wanting a k&n cold air intake for my 2004 Ford Explorer xlt 4.0 but when I look for intake for my vehicle it only lists it for a 04 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0. I think they are the same in engine compartment but I would think they would list the Explorer also if they was the same. Figured someone on here would know. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your 2004 XLT shares the same 4.0L SOHC engine, but is a different configuration. Going to refrain from making comments about "warm" air intakes that have exposed air filters, but I'm certain you'll get some feedback. GL

5b85d025-d417-4ec7-ae11-e8084ff9e260.jpg

OK so same engine but the air intake isn't the same?

Correct. Intake hose angles are very different.

Just take the silencer tube out of your air box, and put a drop in K&N filter in. You get the same results as a cold air intake.

Im wanting a k&n cold air intake for my 2004 Ford Explorer xlt 4.0 but when I look for intake for my vehicle it only lists it for a 04 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0. I think they are the same in engine compartment but I would think they would list the Explorer also if they was the same. Figured someone on here would know. Thanks
Watch this.

The K&N cold air "filter" can reduce the lifespan on your engine. K&N filters allow paritulates, dust and dirt into your engine and can score the cylinder walls

I will never run a k&n or any oiled filter again

dry is where its at ;) oiled is fine imo but if over or under oiled no bueno. and its very hard to get that perfect amount haha

Back