Is it possible to keep my Explorer in 4wd permanently | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to keep my Explorer in 4wd permanently

grizzyxd

Reaction score
City, State
d
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
My 2017 Explorer feel sluggish compared to my 2013 explorer and I found out It’s stuck in FWD and both explorers are equipped with 4WD Is there a way to keep it in 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No. It is a FWD biased vehicle that electronically will switch to AWD under certain conditions. I believe the closest you can get to putting it in AWD is by using the Terrain Management System and selecting 'Mud and Ruts'. That program is not for use on the road/highway.
Did you use the Inetelligent 4WD display to determine it was stuck in FWD? I think the better option is to find out what it is stuck in FWD and have that fixed rather than trying to compensate for the problem.

Peter

I don't understand how being in 4wd would make it less sluggish? Only if you had a traction problem.

My 2017 Explorer feel sluggish compared to my 2013 explorer and I found out It’s stuck in FWD and both explorers are equipped with 4WD Is there a way to keep it in 4WD

Did you happen to have a sport version?

Also, not sure how being in 4WD will help. 2017 is FWD (well AWD I guess) and kicks into 4WD when necessary. If you take off and have it on the AWD screen you can see how all wheels are working.

The 5th gen is FWD biased switching to AWD electronically on some models when required. No 4WD.

Peter

Back