Is my 2nd key definitely NOT original Ford? (and how I enabled remote start (2013 Explorer XLT) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my 2nd key definitely NOT original Ford? (and how I enabled remote start (2013 Explorer XLT)

roveer

Reaction score
City, State
Morristown, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I just bought a 2013 Explorer XLT. I did receive 2 keys, but only one looks like original Ford. This is important because I'm looking at putting in a remote start kit, and most say I have to have both original keys. Can anyone tell me if the 2nd key looks any different than the first key? Here's some pics of what I received. I opened them both up, and the 2nd key looks quite a bit different inside, but they seem pretty close on the outside. The 2nd key does NOT have a ford logo which kinda tells me that It's probably not original Ford. I just figured I'd ask.

Is it possible to get a 2nd key from ford?

key1.jpg
key2.jpg

Update: Look on page 2 to see exactly what I did to get a 3rd Amazon key programmed, and activating remote start.

Thanks,

Roveer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Does the 2nd key perform all the functions that the OEM key does? Yes, you can get another key from Ford. Some have bought from sites like eBay or Amazon. The only visible difference from the outside is the logo and the fact that the OEM one has "SA" stamped on the blade.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Does the 2nd key perform all the functions that the OEM key does? Yes, you can get another key from Ford. Some have bought from sites like eBay or Amazon. The only visible difference from the outside is the logo and the fact that the OEM one has "SA" stamped on the blade.

Peter
As far as I know all the functions work on the 2nd key. I've been asking this question because I want to add remote start and I keep reading that I will need both original keys in order to program the new keys that come with the RS kit. Will this non-ford key do the job, or is it going to cause me trouble?

If its anything like the f150 rs kit, it will come with 2 new keys. Since you have w keys even though one isn't oem, you should be fine.

You just need to have the new keys that come with the rs kit cut and them program them in the vehicle. If you've used forscan its easy to enable r.s. in the setting by checking a box, its that simple. Then plug in the rs antenna, on my previous 12 f150 when I added the rs start kit with the same keys as yours. The antenna installed behind the glovebox. Unsure where it goes on the explorer, I do remember it plugged into the tpms module .

Pretty simple and straightforward install.

As far as I know all the functions work on the 2nd key. I've been asking this question because I want to add remote start and I keep reading that I will need both original keys in order to program the new keys that come with the RS kit. Will this non-ford key do the job, or is it going to cause me trouble?
I bought a remote start from aliexprees for 14$ then i go to locksmith he programed the remote by using my 3rd party key ( i was lost my original key)
But you will need first to program car to enable remote start system then program a remote to lock/unlock doors then program transponder or you can use a old transponder from any remote you have

Little know secret is that some explorers have the built in remote start in the vehicle, just hasn't been activated:

On the 2011 ford xlt, I bought a ford key with remote function, had it cut for free. and then paid the dealer like ~$50 to enable the remote start on the vehicle, works perfect and it's OEM. no need for a remote start kit
there are threads here that detail exactly which key to buy

If you get the ford remote start it will come with two new remotes with the start button in the middle of the cross. Its literally just two new remotes and the programming. The keys your have now will only be spares.

As far as your key the SA engravent not being there and the missing ford logo are sure signs it’s an aftermarket. Another way to tell is there is usually a ford engineering number stamped on the inside if you were to open it to change the battery

Little know secret is that some explorers have the built in remote start in the vehicle, just hasn't been activated:

On the 2011 ford xlt, I bought a ford key with remote function, had it cut for free. and then paid the dealer like ~$50 to enable the remote start on the vehicle, works perfect and it's OEM. no need for a remote start kit
there are threads here that detail exactly which key to buy
Is there any way to know if the RS module is actually installed? I read somewhere there is a module under the dash (driver side) AS9075, but that might have been aftermarket. I also read that in order for it to work, you have to have a hood closed switch. Is it possible that if that switch is there, then a RS module is installed? I have to check and see if I have that switch.

My second key which is aftermarket but looks exactly like the ford key has a 4th button that has no label. So is it possible that enabling RS in forscan, locking car, and hitting that button might initiate RS? That would be cool.

Roveer

Is there any way to know if the RS module is actually installed? I read somewhere there is a module under the dash (driver side) AS9075, but that might have been aftermarket. I also read that in order for it to work, you have to have a hood closed switch. Is it possible that if that switch is there, then a RS module is installed? I have to check and see if I have that switch.

My second key which is aftermarket but looks exactly like the ford key has a 4th button that has no label. So is it possible that enabling RS in forscan, locking car, and hitting that button might initiate RS? That would be cool.

Roveer
I don't know how to check that. I do know that we bought the 2011 new, never did any remote start modifications, only had to do what I described above in order to enable the remote on the vehicle.
EDIT: yes, you need the hood switch to be able to enable the factory RS

found the link:

I took a quick look under the hood and the hood switch is there. That's an encouraging sign.

Does anybody know if there are any menu settings once RS is enabled which could possibly indicate that the module is there and it is in fact enabled? (once I enable it in forscan) I'm asking all these stupid questions because I'm fearing that I'll have problems with the key programming and want to try and determine that RS is in fact there and enabled (once I do the forscan work), and I will just need to work out the key programming.

I have to dig out my forscan tool, then dig out the car (snowing here again). I'm going to enable RS, do the button programming steps on my 2nd key which seems to have the 4th button and see what happens.

Roveer

I took a quick look under the hood and the hood switch is there. That's an encouraging sign.

Does anybody know if there are any menu settings once RS is enabled which could possibly indicate that the module is there and it is in fact enabled? (once I enable it in forscan) I'm asking all these stupid questions because I'm fearing that I'll have problems with the key programming and want to try and determine that RS is in fact there and enabled (once I do the forscan work), and I will just need to work out the key programming.

I have to dig out my forscan tool, then dig out the car (snowing here again). I'm going to enable RS, do the button programming steps on my 2nd key which seems to have the 4th button and see what happens.

Roveer
Remote start is there, you will need to enable it in the cluster and the BCM, I have done 30-40 with Forscan that way.

Roveer
And you can use aftermarket key's, I recommend them, amazon has them for 1/4 of what the OEM keys are, and I have had -0- issues with them, and as mine units are fleet cars, they are used continually.

Roveer
Yup it'll take 5 minutes to enable RS in forscan. Then just program the 2 new keys.

OK, I had some success today. I did the Forscan work and "Remote Start" appears in the settings menu with all the associated options. I then initiated the button programming process on my 2nd key (the aftermarket key), that appears to have a 4th button. It clicks, but there is no label on it. It did not start the car. I'm guessing it might not actually be an active button. I ordered an amazon key

Amazon 3rd Party Key (Click to see listing)
fordkey.jpg

As Marauderleader mentioned he's had success with Amazon keys. I'm hoping this will work for me. I'm on a crusade to get remote start working since this is an outside car.

I just read on keyfobprogram.com That I CAN'T program the actual key (not the buttons), if my 2nd key is aftermarket. This is my situation. Does anyone know if this is correct, AND if there is any way to program the 2nd key using Forscan? I'm googling right now, but there's a ton of noise with older cars etc. I'd like to avoid locksmith/dealer costs, but if It can't be done, then I might as well bite the bullet and have them do it.

Roveer

OK, I had some success today. I did the Forscan work and "Remote Start" appears in the settings menu with all the associated options. I then initiated the button programming process on my 2nd key (the aftermarket key), that appears to have a 4th button. It clicks, but there is no label on it. It did not start the car. I'm guessing it might not actually be an active button. I ordered an amazon key

Amazon 3rd Party Key (Click to see listing) View attachment 327859

As Marauderleader mentioned he's had success with Amazon keys. I'm hoping this will work for me. I'm on a crusade to get remote start working since this is an outside car.

I just read on keyfobprogram.com That I CAN'T program the actual key (not the buttons), if my 2nd key is aftermarket. This is my situation. Does anyone know if this is correct, AND if there is any way to program the 2nd key using Forscan? I'm googling right now, but there's a ton of noise with older cars etc. I'd like to avoid locksmith/dealer costs, but if It can't be done, then I might as well bite the bullet and have them do it.

Roveer
Just program the 2 new RS start keys that came with your kit, dont worry about your aftermarket key. Thats another animal to program it for RS, if that can even be done. Dealer or locksmith would be required for that.

Your over thinking it. Just use your existing 2 keys to program the 2 new ones and be done!

Amazon 3rd Party Key (Click to see listing) View attachment 327859

Roveer
You should be able to add the extra key with forscan. I have seen other do it, and the sw says it will let you, buts when I do PATS stuff I use my IDS

Just program the 2 new RS start keys that came with your kit, dont worry about your aftermarket key. Thats another animal to program it for RS, if that can even be done. Dealer or locksmith would be required for that.

Your over thinking it. Just use your existing 2 keys to program the 2 new ones and be done!
I will certainly give it a try. Here is the information that says it can't be done. Didn't buy any kit. Only getting 1 aftermarket key.

Quote from keyfobprogram.com:

"You must have 2 original keys that start your engine to perform this procedure. If you only have one working key or none at all it must be programmed by a dealer or locksmith! Your New third (unprogrammed) key must also be cut prior to performing this procedure.

Please Note: If one of your keys is a cloned key from a hardware store this procedure will NOT work. This procedure requires original programmed keys."

I will certainly give it a try. Here is the information that says it can't be done. Didn't buy any kit. Only getting 1 aftermarket key.

Quote from keyfobprogram.com:

"You must have 2 original keys that start your engine to perform this procedure. If you only have one working key or none at all it must be programmed by a dealer or locksmith! Your New third (unprogrammed) key must also be cut prior to performing this procedure.

Please Note: If one of your keys is a cloned key from a hardware store this procedure will NOT work. This procedure requires original programmed keys."
Ah, aftermarket. Missed it was a aftermarket kit.

You should be able to add the extra key with forscan. I have seen other do it, and the sw says it will let you, buts when I do PATS stuff I use my IDS
So is my key IAK or PATS? I'm having trouble determining? I'm guessing IA is the keyless fob\push button start and PATS is the chipped physical key?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not all locksmiths clone the keys. Most don’t, I believe. As long as your aftermarket key is a separate made key it’ll work.

Back