Is my belt tensioner in the wrong place, please help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my belt tensioner in the wrong place, please help!!!

93explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD
Greetings:

I just had a real good chance to finally look inside my engine compartment. My belt tensioner is up top and located just to the right of my alternator? Whereas, I was in the junkyard today and had the opportunity to view and take parts from some 1991-2000 models! All being 4.0 engines! All of the tensioners were located on the bottom, and over to the left of the alternator, and I was able to remove the belt view the 3/8 socket slot on the tensioner. However, on my 93 eddie bauer 4.0, I don't have that direct luxury. Originally the alternator had become frozen, thus popping the belt, and causing slight damage to the pulley on the tensioner, whereas, it rub and not rotate freely as it should! So I will have to replace the tensioner too! So could I just replace the tensioner and leave it were the original one is, up top and just behind the alternator? I am a bit baffled:mad:? The tensioner will only pivot if one takes a 15mm socket/rachet and turns the pully center nut. Otherwise it appears to be bolted to the engine via 2 15-16mm bolts. I very much want to resolve this small debacle! What say you? Thanks in advance!!

Best Regards,

1993 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 4 DR 4X4 154,000 original miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

imho i would replace the pully to if thats what your asking .i replaced my idler and tensioner pully early this year @ 199k ...if you replace one it's a good idea to replace them both becasue they see the same wear .
DSCN1098-1.jpg

DSCN1097.jpg

It sounds like your idler and tensioner are just where they ought to be
93belt_0000.gif

What fixxxer said...

Seriously, there is like less than 0% chance that your idler could be installed in the wrong spot. Don't assume that year-to-year and model-to-model, these will be the same.

The correct diagram for the year and options that are installed on your truck is the only real answer.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks guys:)! I really appreciate the pictures and diagrams! It just seemed as though my ilder was reverse and in place of my tensioner? However, I shall print out this info, whereas it is really helpful, and good to know.
What fixxxer said...

Seriously, there is like less than 0% chance that your idler could be installed in the wrong spot. Don't assume that year-to-year and model-to-model, these will be the same.

The correct diagram for the year and options that are installed on your truck is the only real answer.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks Fixxxer! These digrams are wonderful! I will post some pics of the engine compartment as soon as I setup my camera in a day or so, thanks again, I really appreciate the responses and info:)!
It sounds like your idler and tensioner are just where they ought to be
93belt_0000.gif

Nice green Explorer, the wheels are nice too:cool:!!!
imho i would replace the pully to if thats what your asking .i replaced my idler and tensioner pully early this year @ 199k ...if you replace one it's a good idea to replace them both becasue they see the same wear .
DSCN1098-1.jpg

DSCN1097.jpg

my 94 sport has the tensioner on the bottom below the alt. it was built in nov of 94. so from them dirgrams i should be able to move them around then, witch would be great as im tired of busted knuckes an deep cuts on my hands every time i have to remove an replace the belt.

Up top does seem to make it an easier transition. Although compared to other tensioners on other vehicles, even being on the bottom is a lot more easier. I mean I just popped in the 3/8 drive rachet and it pivoted with ease! Again, having it on the top wouldn't hurt the least.
my 94 sport has the tensioner on the bottom below the alt. it was built in nov of 94. so from them dirgrams i should be able to move them around then, witch would be great as im tired of busted knuckes an deep cuts on my hands every time i have to remove an replace the belt.

...Fixxer, do you have any pics with the dual alternator???

...The reason I ask is, whenever I get belts they always ask if it is a single or dual alternator???..:wtf:..I wonder where the second alt would sit...:scratch:

I could use another alt on mine Pic please. (if anyone has this)

on the 95 explorer the tensioner was was about dead center below the alternator. Personally I can't find much on a dual alt setup. I don't think it was a stock item unless it was a special build for a police vehicle. you may want to read this thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192233

Up top does seem to make it an easier transition. Although compared to other tensioners on other vehicles, even being on the bottom is a lot more easier. I mean I just popped in the 3/8 drive rachet and it pivoted with ease! Again, having it on the top wouldn't hurt the least.

well this is my problem trying to get the 3/8 drive in there. i have big hands an short fingers. just to give you an idea, i wear a #14 wedding band an thats tight on my finger.

I have really fat hands too. Try doing a wiper motor...

Anyway, as to your prior post, I'd be very surprised if you can move the tensioner around. I think the design changes are model-specific, and Ford is known to make mid-year changes. Of course, I'm sure it could be done, but you'd probably need to convert some other parts (to have a place to install it, etc.).

Mike

...It would make sense if the dual alternator's were stock from ford for emergency vehicles...I just don't know why they would list such a thing for a standard Explorer...:dunno:

...I do know that the Gen 1 Explorer takes a stock 71" belt for it's 95 amp alternator and the "Dual Alternator" belt is 68"....This 68" belt is what I used for my 160 amp alt which came with an overdrive pulley on it...

Back