• Register Today It's free!

Is my explorer just really rare?

Bfausett84

Reaction score
City, State
Winder, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT AWD 4.0
I've got a 2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC AWD. Whenever I go to parts stores or online and say it's awd and v6 they say nope gotta be a v8 or just 4wd. So is this just an oddball or what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True AWD was only available on the V8. Are there any drive related knobs anywhere on your radio bezel? If so you don't have AWD, you have 4WD. The V8 AWD is full-time. No drive related knobs.

It does have a knob, but it doesn't have 2wd. And whenever the back slips it kicks in. I can't spin out in the dirt driveway. Started up a wet grass hill and the front kicked in. I expected it like my grand Cherokee to be 2wd in normal mode or whatever it says.

Pics or it didn't happen, you know the rules.

Control Trac.

Control Trac.

Yeah, that was Ford's name for it. IIRC most people found this feature annoying and did the 'brown wire mod" to turn AUTO into 2WD.

Yep, that's it. It quite annoying when pops harsh. Sorry I sounded an idiot but my book that's basically awd.

Yep, that's it. It quite annoying when pops harsh. Sorry I sounded an idiot but my book that's basically awd.

If you want to disable this feature (or be able to turn it OFF/ON) you can cut the brown wire or add a switch to it. Search "brown wire mod" for how to do this.

Thanks a bunch. I think I will try doing that mod with a switch, auto could be useful in the Georgia winters when ice might show up unannounced. I really don't understand not being able to use 2wd.

Thanks a bunch. I think I will try doing that mod with a switch, auto could be useful in the Georgia winters when ice might show up unannounced. I really don't understand not being able to use 2wd.

I think the idea with AUTO is that you are usually in RWD/2WD unless the ABS system detects that the rear wheels are turning faster than the front. Then it automatically engages the front wheels. As far as driving on ice, 4WD is no help at all. I grew up in the northeast and owned 4WD vehicles. Great in snow, no benefit on ice.

True AWD was only available on the V8. Are there any drive related knobs anywhere on your radio bezel? If so you don't have AWD, you have 4WD. The V8 AWD is full-time. No drive related knobs.
My control trac with the V6 SOHC only has auto, 4wd-hi and 4wd lo.

Yeah, that was Ford's name for it. IIRC most people found this feature annoying and did the 'brown wire mod" to turn AUTO into 2WD.
Is there a link to that mod?

My control trac with the V6 SOHC only has auto, 4wd-hi and 4wd lo.

Yes exactly - Did you bother to look at the photo link of the radio bezel?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Ford-E...ash=item41b7e867c3:g:h9gAAOSwiDFYLLPZ&vxp=mtr

As I just said, AUTO is 2WD most of the time unless the rear wheels start spinning, then the front wheels will engage until all the wheels are spinning at the same speed. Then it goes back to 2WD. It's like the system is telling you "Hey, you really should be in 4WD right now".

Yes exactly - Did you bother to look at the photo link of the radio bezel?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Ford-E...ash=item41b7e867c3:g:h9gAAOSwiDFYLLPZ&vxp=mtr

As I just said, AUTO is 2WD most of the time unless the rear wheels start spinning, then the front wheels will engage until all the wheels are spinning at the same speed. Then it goes back to 2WD. It's like the system is telling you "Hey, you really should be in 4WD right now".
That explains why it is so much more stable when I kick it into 4wd. I thought there was something wrong with the awd. Turns out it isn't awd. Sorry, no need for the passive aggressiveness. I was on my phone here last night and missed that post.

To be technical, the Auto feature never allows true 2WD. There is at least 4-8% (depending on which tech bulletin you read) of the power directed to the front wheels at all times. I can see why somebody might get it confused with AWD.

That explains why it is so much more stable when I kick it into 4wd. I thought there was something wrong with the awd. Turns out it isn't awd. Sorry, no need for the passive aggressiveness. I was on my phone here last night and missed that post.

No worries. Sorry if I was being passive/aggressive.

Back