Is swapping my '96 4.0L 4R55E trans to the 5.0L 4R70W Trans a good idea? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is swapping my '96 4.0L 4R55E trans to the 5.0L 4R70W Trans a good idea?

Doug1331c

Reaction score
City, State
Mountain Home, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Explorer, XLT
So recently my transmission in my Explorer quit and tore itself to pieces so I have been looking for a new trans and while I was at the junkyard recently I found a Mountaineer of the same generation with the 5.0L 4R70W trans whole car all in tact wiring and all (I have a 4.0L 4R55E) so I was wondering if it would be worth it to swap it into my explorer.

Attachments

• Snapchat-271403373.jpg
    Snapchat-271403373.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Snapchat-745626755.jpg
    Snapchat-745626755.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Snapchat-1836403441.jpg
    Snapchat-1836403441.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 73

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Uh...will not fit.

Uh...will not fit.
are you sure even tho the mountaineer is the same thing just re-branded cause its is the whole Mountaineer as a car that i am buying that way i have all of the parts i need and i wont have to piece it together

The 4.0L has a different bellhousing pattern than the 5.0L.

The 4.0L has a different bellhousing pattern than the 5.0L.
So what im planning on doing is taking all of the engine transmission and drive-train components and putting them on my explorer so all im asking is if is a good idea because i dont want to do all of this work if the transmission or some other componet is gonna go out on me i would like to have this last a while and im more than likely going to open everything up and have a look inside while i have it apart and see if there is some rebulding that im gonna have to do so i wont have to work on the car for a while after im done with the swap

Sorry, but your thread title and 1st post, make us think you just wanted to swap transmissions.

Swapping the engine, trans, transfer case (if AWD), drive shafts, ECM/harness's, is completely doable. There is plenty of information on this topic here. Just be willing to do the work, and research the heck out of it.

The 4r70w is one of the best transmissions Ford has used in these RBV's. Much more reliable then your current transmission, IMO.

yes its a great idea
The 5.0 drivetrain CAN BOLT IN, good idea to get the entire donor truck not bits and pieces...........
do tons of research before you turn any wrenches
Plenty of people have done 4.0 to 5.0 conversions

Yes I too came in here thinking you were crazy trying to put a v8 auto trans behind your v6....that only works with Chevys

so are the wiring harnesses all plug and play because i was talking to one of my friends and he said that i would have to change the entire wiring harness out including the body and dash wiring harness

yes and no
There are some mid year changes and some differences between 96 4.0 and 96 5.0
The changes are pretty simple to make
All you really need is the drivetrain with drivetrain wiring harness, also the alternator harness from the 5.0
You can use a 96-97.5 drivetrain and make things really easy
If you use a 98-01 drivetrain there are some issues to overcome

yes and no
There are some mid year changes and some differences between 96 4.0 and 96 5.0
The changes are pretty simple to make
All you really need is the drivetrain with drivetrain wiring harness, also the alternator harness from the 5.0
You can use a 96-97.5 drivetrain and make things really easy
If you use a 98-01 drivetrain there are some issues to overcome
Oh ok thanks because i really just don't want to end up spending too much time on wiring especially if i'm gonna have to take the dash out or lift the body off of the frame

nothing like that
98% of the wiring takes place in one spot, the 42 pin connector at the back of your 4.0 engine
You would want to remove the instrument cluster to move a tachometer wire locations

IN 96 the explorer left the factory with two engine options
4.0 pushrod
5.0 pushrod

it does not take many changes to turn your 4.0 into a 5.0 given the correct parts

Where are you in Idaho?

nothing like that
98% of the wiring takes place in one spot, the 42 pin connector at the back of your 4.0 engine
You would want to remove the instrument cluster to move a tachometer wire locations

IN 96 the explorer left the factory with two engine options
4.0 pushrod
5.0 pushrod

it does not take many changes to turn your 4.0 into a 5.0 given the correct parts

Where are you in Idaho?
yea im in idaho and thanks for all of the information

I just thought about this but should i swap out the GEM when I do the swap

nope no need
The gem module can stay and will be happy with the v8
If you have an electric transfer case now and swap in a 4406 electric shift t case with the new v8 then that GEM module would still control the new t case and be right at home

Back