• Register Today It's free!

Is the dealership the only way?

TwoEcho27

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Interceptor Utility
I just brought my 2018 PIU to the dealership to get the catalytic converter replaced under the TSB. They want $195 to do a "diagnostic," you know, what any of us can do with an OBDII cable. Is this really necessary? Is there someplace else I can go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just brought my 2018 PIU to the dealership to get the catalytic converter replaced under the TSB. They want $195 to do a "diagnostic," you know, what any of us can do with an OBDII cable. Is this really necessary? Is there someplace else I can go?
since a tsb iirc isnt usually mandatory, they can charge it like its a repair i think. so if you go to another shop, maybe they wont do a diagnostic? is the dealer charging you for the cat change?

since a tsb iirc isnt usually mandatory, they can charge it like its a repair i think. so if you go to another shop, maybe they wont do a diagnostic? is the dealer charging you for the cat change?
No. TSB covers the cost of a new cat and labor.

No. TSB covers the cost of a new cat and labor.
then can you decline the diagnostic? or is it part of the process? if so shouldnt it be covered if its mandatory under the tsb

then can you decline the diagnostic? or is it part of the process? if so shouldnt it be covered if its mandatory under the tsb
According to the service manager, if I decline the diagnostic, they will gladly quote me for a new cat at my cost.

According to the service manager, if I decline the diagnostic, they will gladly quote me for a new cat at my cost.
that doesnt sound right. any other nearby dealer? is the service procedure for the tsb online?

This is what I find online:
Date: 7/23/2020 Title: Catalytic Converter Extended Coverage Summary: In the affected vehicles, it may be possible that aggressive law enforcement driving maneuvers can result in an overheated catalytic converter, catalyst degradation, and an illuminated malfunction indicator light (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0420 and/or P0430 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). If an affected vehicle exhibits this condition, dealers are to replace the affected catalytic converter. This service must be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner.

This is what I find online:
Date: 7/23/2020 Title: Catalytic Converter Extended Coverage Summary: In the affected vehicles, it may be possible that aggressive law enforcement driving maneuvers can result in an overheated catalytic converter, catalyst degradation, and an illuminated malfunction indicator light (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0420 and/or P0430 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). If an affected vehicle exhibits this condition, dealers are to replace the affected catalytic converter. This service must be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner.
"This service must be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner"
^^^^^^^^^^^^can you show them that?

As long as the vehicle is still under warranty. A TSB is not a Recall.

Peter
The way the TSB reads, the vehicle doesn't need to be under warranty for this TSB. Unless I'm missing something.

Wondering if I shouldn't try another dealership, or call Ford, maybe?
from looking at the pdf it seems like they shouldnt charge? but not a recall/tsb expert though. if you are not to be charged maybe try a regional rep or someone higher up the food chain?

The way the TSB reads, the vehicle doesn't need to be under warranty for this TSB. Unless I'm missing something.
My post was just meant to be a general remark on TSBs. Not specific to this one.

Peter

My post was just meant to be a general remark on TSBs. Not specific to this one.

Peter
Ah, gotcha.

Called Ford Executive Customer Support. Left a message. We'll see what happens.

Just had both converters replaced in my ‘16, diaog and parts/labor were 100% covered. If you can scan your car and see those codes, it should be covered 100%

Just had both converters replaced in my ‘16, diaog and parts/labor were 100% covered. If you can scan your car and see those codes, it should be covered 100%
What was your mileage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back