Is this 2000 Sport 2wd 5 speed worth a chance? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this 2000 Sport 2wd 5 speed worth a chance?

Borneoben

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 2dr Sport
Hi Guys

This is my first post here so please be gentle!

I am considering buying a lifted 2000 Explorer sport and would like you opinions.

I am new to all things Ford and new to old SUV's with high mileage and new to lifted trucks in General.

In fact i only just moved to the USA 6 months ago with my job and i am new to everything American!!!

I am no stranger to a tool set having built a few kit cars in my youth and i used to work for a company in the UK building Austin Healey 3000 replicas.
So i am not afraid of doing my own maintenance.

I'm looking for a daily driver for my 15-20 minute commute to work and i don't really have any intention of taking it off road.
I just love the look of lifted trucks.

Asking price is 3k not 4k as shown in the advert i m sure i can get that down further.

The lift looks like it was done very recently, and to my untrained eye it looks like it was done properly???

My biggest concern is with the high mileage and if it will need new timing chains anytime soon as that is a very big engine out job as far as i can gather with this 4.0 6cylinder engine.

I also like the fact that it is a manual transmission as that has always been my preference.

The car can be found here

http://www.sarcotexas.com/inventory/view/7589740?2000-Ford-Explorer-2dr-102"-WB-Sport-Houston-TX

You opinions would be very welcome.

many thanks

Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks nice

Did i post this question in the wrong place?

I thought i would get more feedback.

so from further research i understand that the 2000 Explorers were available with either the SOHC engine or the OHV engine.

I am assuming that the one to have is the SOHC engine is that correct?

My biggest concern is that the engine in the car i am interested in will need new timing chains and its the SOHC engine as i understand that is a BIG engine out job to do and could cost roughly 3k with parts and labor.

How do i identify if the car has a the OHV or SOHC engine?

I would like to know all this before i go look at the car hopefully today or tomorrow.
(when i get to look at the engine in person i'm sure i can tell which it is)

Cheers

Ben

OK i just found out that if it has the manual trans then its going to be the OHV engine

can someone confirm that for me?

If it were an Auto trans then it could have been either the OHV or the SOHC

Should i really be as worried about the timing chains as i am?

OK i just found out that if it has the manual trans then its going to be the OHV engine

can someone confirm that for me?

If it were an Auto trans then it could have been either the OHV or the SOHC

Should i really be as worried about the timing chains as i am?

well if it is the OHV then you dont have to worry about timing chain problems. only the sohc had that problem. The OHV has cracked head problems and leaking gasket problems i believe. I dont follow the v6s much as i have the v8 which is way more reliable than either of the v6s. many people here running the v8s have over 200k and are still looking for another 100k out of them

im sure if you search you can find info about the longevity of the ohv though.

147 isn't exactly high mileage.

Search on here, the SOHC has a different vin (e) and the engine cover says SOHC
The OHV simply says 4.0 EFI and it's vin is (x)
The OHV is a good engine albeit slow. Only has head gasket/head problems if it's overheated

Thanks pbnj

I had also just come to teh same conclusion.

OHV engine is not as efficient and produces alot less power like 50bhp less but is "generally" a more reliable tougher motor. That is when compared to early SOHC engines

I believe that later SOHC engines had the timing chain issues sorted out.

However for my purposes i think i would want the toughness and reliability of a more simple engine design.

surprisingly im not as concerned about cracked heads and leaky gaskets as i am the potential timing chain issues of teh SOHC as the heads can be replaced without pulling the engine. The OHV engine should be very easy to find parts for at breakers yards as well i would assume as it was in so many different fords.

someone please correct me if i am wrong in any of my assumptions. this is all still new to me.

Cheers

Ben

Thanks colintrax

Now that i am pretty sure its a OHV engine, in fact i am 99% sure its a OHV engine, i am allot less concerned.

I am just about to go look at it now!!

wish me luck

I will report back

Cheers

Ben

OK so i had chance to have a close look at the 2000 Explorer Sport today.

Its overall not bad at all really

its a little rougher around the edges than i would have liked but it is a 14 year old truck with almost 150k on the clock!

The engin runs smooth and quiet, infact much more smooth and quiet than i was expecting.

It is indeed a OHV engine NOT the SOHC which is i think a good thing.

Its not exactly a speed machine but then again it was never supposed to be.

The engine bay a pretty oily there are a few oil leaks and it looks like it has some sort of power steering leak spraying a fine mist over the divers side of the engine bay.

it also looks like both crank seals are leaking but, hey, its an old high mileage truck.

I am very tempted to buy it do the absolute minimum to keep it running nice and just drive it until it falls apart.

the rest of the truck is OK its a little more rough cosmetically than i would like but most of it is an easy fix.

The paint needs a damn good cut and polish etc but all in all i guess it is what it is.

I am very tempted.

It is a pretty nice truck at least from the pictures, however I do understand it may be different in person. It sounds like the previous owner may have slipped up on some repairs and maintenance, but all in all, that should be a solid truck right there. Speaking from experience and bias, the OHV is no speed demon, but a very rock-solid performer and mated to a 5-speed, well that's a pretty impressive combo there. I would look into the problems and try to fix em up if possible and go from there. That seems like too nice of a truck to keep at minimal repair cost. 150k is not a whole lot of miles for that engine...

Either way, nice truck and good luck with everything!

It has a OHV engine. Explorers with manual transmissions didn't come with the SOHC until 2001. Like Varsity said 150k miles on the OHV isn't that big of a deal.

Thanks guys

I think im going to pull the trigger on it tomorrow.

There are a couple things I need to sirt with the dealer.
Im trading in my 2007 5530xi Sport Wagon for this truck plus a load of cash!!

Im sure we can work out a deal

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers all

I would stay away from that truck!!!! Just so that I can make time to get to TX to buy it myself LOL. All joking aside it looks like a nice Ex & if were closer I would look at buying for myself. Hope you get it & enjoy it, I have enjoyed all 3 Ex's I have had, 2 4.0's & now a 5.0, one 4.0 I got had 180k when I got it,never maintained,beat to hell & it served me great for 2 years with only having to replace a locking hub, I also beat it to hell & back. I would have driven it longer but after drinking too much & going wheeling I found a stack of 55 gallon drums of diesel & then a massive hole they had dug for drainage, it could have been saved but I found a mint Ex to replace it with.

I want that front suspension what is it and where can I get it I'd buy it just for suspension and the boxes of parts

Is that just a really large Torsion twist at the front? Those lower ball joints are at a very large angle. Doesn't look like a lift kit up front.

Nice looking truck, surprised to see the dual shocks in the front, that isn't factory. Mileage us super low, I had a 95 5 speed and enjoyed it

HI guys sorry for lack of responses

I haven't been able to work out a deal with the dealer yet as he wont give me quite what i want for my BMW. Not really surprised.
I am still trying to sell my BM privately so as soon as its sold i will be down there to pick it up.

DjDom
As far as i can tell it is a proper lift up front with new lifted uprights.
It is not just a big Torsion Twist lift.
I checked the angle of the ball joints when i went to look at it and they seem much better in person than they look in the pics.
Im not concerned about them.

Yes teh twin shock look pretty cool up front.
The mounting brackets could be welded a little better but for what i intend to do with the truck i am perfectly happy with it.

Fingers crossed they will still have it by the time i sell the BMW.

So to all of you lot......STAY AWAY!!!

LOL

Cheers

Ben

Thanks pbnj

OHV engine is not as efficient and produces alot less power like 50bhp less but is "generally" a more reliable tougher motor. That is when compared to early SOHC engines

I believe that later SOHC engines had the timing chain issues sorted out.

The SOHC made a lot more top-end power than the OHV, and was a lot less reliable. I don't agree that it's more "efficient" - the factory fuel economy ratings for the OHV were higher than the SOHC (18/23 compared to 17/22), probably because it doesn't have the friction from 4 timing chains to move around.

I have a 2000 Sport with the same powertrain, not lifted though. It's been a great vehicle, extremely reliable. I feel like $3000 may be too much to pay but I don't know how much the lift components cost.

The front shocks well need to replaced with shorter ones or the ride will be very harse they are to long and will be bottoming out over every thing in the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The SOHC made a lot more top-end power than the OHV, and was a lot less reliable. I don't agree that it's more "efficient" - the factory fuel economy ratings for the OHV were higher than the SOHC (18/23 compared to 17/22), probably because it doesn't have the friction from 4 timing chains to move around.

I have a 2000 Sport with the same powertrain, not lifted though. It's been a great vehicle, extremely reliable. I feel like $3000 may be too much to pay but I don't know how much the lift components cost.

Just as an FYI the SOHC is more efficient. That's why it makes more power even though it's the same displacement. OHC tends to be more efficient than pushrod engines

Back