Is this vibration normal? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone had any luck getting this issue resolved? Mine is going in for the third time now today. It's always got a vibration/shimmy in the wheel and floor at highway speeds, sometimes worse than others. They balanced and moved the tires around and that seemed to make it a little worse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone had any luck getting this issue resolved? Mine is going in for the third time now today. It's always got a vibration/shimmy in the wheel and floor at highway speeds, sometimes worse than others. They balanced and moved the tires around and that seemed to make it a little worse.

Did they say anything about tires needing to be rebalanced, or did they just rotate them? Mine is still doing it and I need to schedule the third visit as well. If the tire balance/rotation isn't fixing it I can at least let them know they may need to look beyond that solution.

-Randy

Did they say anything about tires needing to be rebalanced, or did they just rotate them? Mine is still doing it and I need to schedule the third visit as well. If the tire balance/rotation isn't fixing it I can at least let them know they may need to look beyond that solution.

-Randy

They did rebalance them. I'm not sure if they checked them for proper balance beforehand or not. They told me that they rebalanced and rotated them. I think today they are going to put it on the alignment rack.

Edit: They did not balance the tires the first time I took it in. They only rotated them and kept the issue open. They had the vehicle all day yesterday and all they did was balance them. The paperwork they gave me shows nothing about two visits. The issue is actually worse now.

They did rebalance them. I'm not sure if they checked them for proper balance beforehand or not. They told me that they rebalanced and rotated them. I think today they are going to put it on the alignment rack.
houtzb,
I want to help you and get this taken care of once and for all. From previous messages, I already have your VIN, so please send me a PM with your contact info, approximate mileage, and dealer information and I’ll arrange for you to be called by the Customer Service Manager for your area. They’ll do everything they can to help.

...Mine is still doing it and I need to schedule the third visit as well...
Randy,
Since you are still experiencing this, I can arrange for another call to assist you further. Please drop me a line via PM to let me know.

Cory

Seems to me that there are a number of issues in this thread. Some are vibrations at highway speed, but the initial post talked of a "vibration" in the pedal and steering wheel when accelerating. So let me explain what I'm experiencing and please let me know if this is the same as other posts.

Under normal acceleration from a dead stop, I'm experiencing a shudder in the gas pedal and steering wheel for the first few seconds until the vehicle starts to pick up speed and stops before or around when it shifts into second gear. Other people have referred to it as a wiggle, a wobble, or slight right and left torque steer. This appears to be unrelated to tire balancing or wheels etc and may have something to do with the power shifting to all wheels (on the 4wd version) when first starting off.

Is this what others are experiencing, and if so, have you had the issue resolved?

This appears to be unrelated to tire balancing or wheels etc and may have something to do with the power shifting to all wheels (on the 4wd version) when first starting off.
Unless you ae really giving it the gas, I doubt power would be going to all 4 wheels. It is easy enough to see by bringing up the left hand display which shows which wheels are being power at what times.

Unless you ae really giving it the gas, I doubt power would be going to all 4 wheels. It is easy enough to see by bringing up the left hand display which shows which wheels are being power at what times.

All wheels show power going to them on take off. Based on other posts, this is normal.

All wheels show power going to them on take off. Based on other posts, this is normal.
You are absolutely correct.
I just went out and tried it in the driveway. The front wheels showed 2 bars and the rears 1 bar. Another item to file away in the old grey matter.:D

...Some are vibrations at highway speed, but the initial post talked of a "vibration" in the pedal and steering wheel when accelerating. So let me explain what I'm experiencing and please let me know if this is the same as other posts...
yow04xplr,
For the vibrations you’re feeling, I suggest taking your Explorer to the dealer to verify whether they’re normal. You can also call the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673 for additional help if needed. They will do everything they can to help. :)

Cory

Seems to me that there are a number of issues in this thread. Some are vibrations at highway speed, but the initial post talked of a "vibration" in the pedal and steering wheel when accelerating. So let me explain what I'm experiencing and please let me know if this is the same as other posts.

Under normal acceleration from a dead stop, I'm experiencing a shudder in the gas pedal and steering wheel for the first few seconds until the vehicle starts to pick up speed and stops before or around when it shifts into second gear. Other people have referred to it as a wiggle, a wobble, or slight right and left torque steer. This appears to be unrelated to tire balancing or wheels etc and may have something to do with the power shifting to all wheels (on the 4wd version) when first starting off.

Is this what others are experiencing, and if so, have you had the issue resolved?

I have that "shutter" in the gas pedal too. Only lasts one or two seconds.

houtzb,
I want to help you and get this taken care of once and for all. From previous messages, I already have your VIN, so please send me a PM with your contact info, approximate mileage, and dealer information and I’ll arrange for you to be called by the Customer Service Manager for your area. They’ll do everything they can to help.

Cory

Thanks Cory. I've sent you the requested information. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to escalate this but the issue is worse since I got it back.

I have that "shutter" in the gas pedal too. Only lasts one or two seconds.
GWA1,
I was advised this is likely normal if it’s just in the pedal. I have your VIN from previous communications, so let me know via PM if you’d like for me to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. Be sure to include your dealer information, approximate mileage, and contact info.

Thanks Cory. I've sent you the requested information. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to escalate this but the issue is worse since I got it back.
You’re welcome, houtzb. Thank you for the heads up. There are a couple messages before yours, so I’ll send you a reply as soon as possible.

Cory

GWA1,
I was advised this is likely normal if it’s just in the pedal. I have your VIN from previous communications, so let me know via PM if you’d like for me to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. Be sure to include your dealer information, approximate mileage, and contact info.

You’re welcome, houtzb. Thank you for the heads up. There are a couple messages before yours, so I’ll send you a reply as soon as possible.

Cory

Thanks Cory but I'm good to go!

Edit: They did not balance the tires the first time I took it in. They only rotated them and kept the issue open. They had the vehicle all day yesterday and all they did was balance them. The paperwork they gave me shows nothing about two visits. The issue is actually worse now.

Picked up my Ex again last night - second time this week - and it's still not right. (Yes, I have been to the dealership everyday so far this week.) The wheels were sent out to be road-force balanced. They called and told me that they just got them back, they found that the balance was out and they were putting them back on the Ex. I was asked if I wanted to pick it up or have the service manager drive it to test it. What they meant by having the service manager test it was that he would drive it home for the night and I wouldn't get it back until today. I opted to pick it up since they keep sticking me in a Focus which is no good for my already bad back. (My chiropractor told me I should hand them the bills for my co-payments that I have paying to see him.) I thought the issue would be resolved - NOT. This is getting old. On top of that, I noticed a bunch of marks on the wheels that appear to be scratches. I haven't had to time to try rubbing them out so I can't say for sure. I'm beginning to get a feeling of depression when I look at my Ex instead of excitement like I used to...

I just dropped mine off yesterday for my vibration issue (and other things). The service writer mentioned that the only other vibration issue he had heard about was someone who had a vibration up to about 18 mph, which sounds a bit like what you are experiencing. I'll ask him if they found a cause for that (and mine) when I pick mine up.

Picked up my Ex again last night - second time this week - and it's still not right...
houtzb,

I replied to your last PM, so please check your inbox for the details. I also arranged for you to be called before the end of the day.

I just dropped mine off yesterday for my vibration issue (and other things)...
RandyH2,

Let me know via PM if you’d like me to schedule a follow up call for you as well.

Cory

I just dropped mine off yesterday for my vibration issue (and other things). The service writer mentioned that the only other vibration issue he had heard about was someone who had a vibration up to about 18 mph, which sounds a bit like what you are experiencing. I'll ask him if they found a cause for that (and mine) when I pick mine up.

Randy - my vibration is at highway speeds. I feel it in the steering wheel and the floor. Each time they do something, it just changes the vibration a bit. It really feels like a tire out of balance. Maybe I've got a bad one? Good luck with yours!

houtzb,

I replied to your last PM, so please check your inbox for the details. I also arranged for you to be called before the end of the day.

RandyH2,

Let me know via PM if you’d like me to schedule a follow up call for you as well.

Cory

Thanks Cory. I REALLY appreciate the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back