Keyless entry panel blinks constantly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry panel blinks constantly

explorernoles

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited
So tonight I was taking out the trash and noticed that the keyless entry light pad was blinking red every 7 seconds or so. I didn't touch the car or go near it. I unlocked it with my keys and started the ignition for 30 seconds. Turned the car off, got out and locked and didn't stop it. I put in my key code on the pad to unlock the car, opened the door, shut it and locked again. Still blinking. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations, you've found a new problem. Does the pad still blink when the engine is running? You could try a negative battery cable disconnect and let it sit that way for a while before reconnecting. Be aware that you will lose some of your settings and nav favourites. As well the tranny will have to relearn its shift points. I think, however, that a dealer visit is in order. You could try pulling the fuse and reinserting it to see if that helps. Fuse 18 in the cabin fuse box is for "Keypad illumination" and various other items.

Peter

Hi all! Last Sunday, my battery died. It was still under warranty, so I was able to get a new one. Friday night, a neighbor drove by my house and called to tell me that they keypad on my door was blinking. I tried to get it to turn off (got in, started the car, pressed buttons, etc) and it continued to blink. It drove fine all day on Saturday. I went to run an errand late today (Sunday - exactly one week from brand new battery), and it's dead again. Whatever is causing the blinking door panel is draining my battery. Does anyone have any idea why the key panel is blinking or how do I fix it or trouble shoot?

Welcome to the Forum Lisa.:wave:
Have you tried swiping your finger over the keypad or pushing the keys? If that doesn't work then I think you may have to replace it. If you don't use it, you can pull fuse #21 in the cabin fuse box and that should stop it from blinking. That should save the battery and then you can leave it or take it to the dealer to have it checked out. You could also try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes before reconnecting. You will probably lose some saved memory settings doing that.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Lisa.:wave:
Have you tried swiping your finger over the keypad or pushing the keys? If that doesn't work then I think you may have to replace it. If you don't use it, you can pull fuse #21 in the cabin fuse box and that should stop it from blinking. That should save the battery and then you can leave it or take it to the dealer to have it checked out. You could also try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes before reconnecting. You will probably lose some saved memory settings doing that.

Peter
Thanks so much. I’ve only used the keypad a handful of times in almost 6 years, so it doesn’t make much difference to me. I may try to pull the fuse as a temporary fix. I have 10k miles left on my extended warranty, so I’ll need to get it in to the dealer this week.

Fuse 21 is for the power to the keypad microprocessor, fuse 18 powers the illumination but feeds other critical circuits. Pulling fuse 21 may work because the processor sends the signal back to the BCM to turn on the illumination. If pulling fuse 21 stops the issue then it means there is probably an issue with the keypad itself. If it continues to blink then it is possible the illumination wire has been shorted to another wire.

Pull 21 and see what happens.

Is the blinking constant or is it more of flickering (no real pattern to the on off)?

The blinking was all numbers on the keypad all at once. Only up close Could I notice some slight flickering (indicating more of an electrical short). Thankfully, I’m within my extended warranty, so if it’s beyond a simple fix, I should be covered.

If the numbers were blinking, that sounds like the anti-scan feature kicking in. (Defeating brute force attempts = too many wrong inputs.)

Good money on bad keypad--not unheard of in the least.

Hi all! Last Sunday, my battery died. It was still under warranty, so I was able to get a new one. Friday night, a neighbor drove by my house and called to tell me that they keypad on my door was blinking. I tried to get it to turn off (got in, started the car, pressed buttons, etc) and it continued to blink. It drove fine all day on Saturday. I went to run an errand late today (Sunday - exactly one week from brand new battery), and it's dead again. Whatever is causing the blinking door panel is draining my battery. Does anyone have any idea why the key panel is blinking or how do I fix it or trouble shoot?
Hi Lisa, mine is doing the same. did you ever find a fix?

Mine just started doing this last night. This morning the battery was dead.. replaced it and it still blinks.. what gives?

Mine just started doing this last night. This morning the battery was dead.. replaced it and it still blinks.. what gives?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Unfortunately, as happens all too often, members post about an issue but neglect to follow up with any repairs/solutions.

Peter

After about 10 consecutive days of rain here in Chicago, my Keyless Entry panel started looking a lot like the dance floor of an 80's disco. It has finally stopped blinking and also stopped working. The numbers light up when touched but no response as for locking or unlocking. I believe my next step is to replace the panel. I am searching for a new part now I will post an update when it's done.
2019 Explorer Limited
Frank

After about 10 consecutive days of rain here in Chicago, my Keyless Entry panel started looking a lot like the dance floor of an 80's disco. It has finally stopped blinking and also stopped working. The numbers light up when touched but no response as for locking or unlocking. I believe my next step is to replace the panel. I am searching for a new part now I will post an update when it's done.
2019 Explorer Limited
Frank
Welcome to the Forum Frank. :wave:
Since it lights up it probably is the fuse but maybe you should check it just in case. Are you out of factory warranty?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Frank. :wave:
Since it lights up it probably is the fuse but maybe you should check it just in case. Are you out of factory warranty?

Peter
Yes out of warranty, I had the car parked facing north yesterday afternoon and with the sun shining right on the panel I could actually see condensation inside of it. Also the sun must have dried it out a bit because when I got to work this morning it was working like normal. Yes I will still be replacing it.
I found the part at Village Ford parts in MI for 178.29
Frank

Have you checked to see if there is a leak somewhere around the molding? That would be the only way water could get in there to cause condensation. If you can find that spot, perhaps just sealing it would work.

Peter

2019 Explorer Limited
Frank

Yes out of warranty, I had the car parked facing north yesterday afternoon and with the sun shining right on the panel I could actually see condensation inside of it. Also the sun must have dried it out a bit because when I got to work this morning it was working like normal. Yes I will still be replacing it.
I found the part at Village Ford parts in MI for 178.29
Frank
2019 Explorer Limited
Frank
Yes it was defiantly water in the keypad. Here are some pictures of the keypad before and apart.Keypad

Back