Iz's Bingo Bus/Tow Rig | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Iz's Bingo Bus/Tow Rig

I decided it was time to pass on the old E-350 and replace it with another.

So I picked this guy up on Saturday.

- 2001 E-350 7.3 PowerStroke (does not leak!!)
- Auxiliary air-conditioning/heat under the chassis
- 13 seater (including the driver) but I'll probably change up this combo.
- Air-powered side barn doors (by far the coolest part of the vehicle)
- Wide power side mirrors
- Padded interior walls (in case I go nuts.. oh wait)
- Luggage rack (will probably be removed)

Some exteriors:
exterior1.jpg

exterior2.jpg

Some interiors:
interior12.jpg

interior21.jpg

interior31.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah Thank you so much master.

I assumed that part involved the fuel but have not researched yet. Is there a water separator or something of the sort? That will be the end of my hijack of your thread.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The water separator changed from year to year and I'm not sure where the break is/are. But its typically either at the fuel bowl or another canister that's I think located under the driver's seat - look for a yellow lever.

So I've had this boost leak pre-turbo ever since I bought this van on the passenger up-pipe. I've been happy with the performance even with a dozen people and snowboard gear onboard. But we might be going further this year so I wanted to improve the MPG a bit.

uppipe_leak2.jpg

(pics taken after I loosened the bolts)

The culprit up close:
uppipe_leak1.jpg

Apparently, you "should" replace the up pipe when you replace the gasket because the gasket eats into the pipe. So new pipe...
uppipe_scoured.jpg

uppipe_new.jpg

Gasket (CarQuest F17250) and up-pipe installed.
uppipe_seal.jpg

Also welded in and installed a pyrometer probe near the bottom of the new up pipe:
uppipe_newinstalled.jpg

Very nice.
I don't like working on the E series vans because of the whole set up of where the engine sits and the dog house and blah blah blah... My Dad has a e450 box truck (triton v10) and we had one of the coils & plugs blow right out of the block (2002 coil over plug) the plug unscrewed itself and just blew itself right out, weirdest thing, thankfully it was drivers side and the second plug back, not to far or hard to get to.
</end random story>

Keep up the awesome work with your beast! :)

If you have anymore problems with those stupid exhaust doughnuts; then head over to your nearest International dealer and order up a set of bellowed up pipes.

Internationals part number: 1837872C93

upp1.jpg

Purpose:
The stock Ford up-pipes are designed using a crush donut gasket to seal the up-pipes into the y-collector. Over time, the expansion and contraction cause the donuts to leak, hurting engine performance and mileage. The obvious symptoms of an up-pipe leak are black soot present around the up-pipe/y-collector, and even soot deposits on the firewall and nearby engine components. Using aftermarket gauges, a PSD owner can also see a drop in boost and higher EGT's. The International up-pipes are bellowed and do not use crush donut gaskets. The bellows allow for expansion and contraction and rarely leak over time. Although not a performance enhancement (unless you get ceramic coating), the International up-pipes are a worthwhile investment when exhaust leaks are found, and serve as a proper fix for Ford's "flawed" design.

Yeah the OEM set-up could be better, you got the thick cast pieces versus the thinner tube heating up and cooling down at different rates. Hard to keep things sealed up when that happens. I've also seen flex couplers used but same idea as those bellowed pipes.

Thanks guys - yeah the IH piece is the next step if and when the current ones give me more problems.

Finally got it on the road (locals and highway) and the fixed leak made a big improvement in throttle response and acceleration. It just wants to go go go. Well worth the fifty some odd dollars for the pipe ($40.19 shipped), gasket ($3) and stainless steel bolts. I was going to get a +140 hp chip but I don't really see a reason to now, at least not until the Explorer is ready to be towed.

Which CPS does it have in it?

If it's grey, it will cost you about 1-2 mpg. The black gives the best fuel milage.

gonna wear the engine out going skiing and stuff before the Explorer is finished,,:D:D:D:D

Which CPS does it have in it?

If it's grey, it will cost you about 1-2 mpg. The black gives the best fuel milage.
Wow really? I will definitely look into that next time I pop the hood.

gonna wear the engine out going skiing and stuff before the Explorer is finished,,:D:D:D:D
Its called system field testing ;)

Thanks - just bought a black CPS from Ebay for $20 :). It'll be backup incase the current one is also black.

Nahhhh this will be an Antique before the Explorer is finished.;)

Yea, that part nearly cost me big $$$ - The default answer from a Ford Dealer is to replace the #8 injector, which is bad..

Hmmm, I've been running the grey since the recall came out and have had zero problems with the exception of the rough idle. My dealer wouldn't give me my black one back so I currently have no spare. Thinking about trying the dark blue since when I do drive the truck, 1-2 mpg's really isn't a concern as much as reliability is.

Ya know, CPSs have been used on many vehicles. They are pretty much just like the VSS on the 8.8 rear axle. So you would think that they would've perfected how to design and install these things by now. The other thing is that its a single point of failure - maybe install two CPSs around the crankshaft and be able to electrically switch to the other in case the primary dies?

Ya know, CPSs have been used on many vehicles. They are pretty much just like the VSS on the 8.8 rear axle. So you would think that they would've perfected how to design and install these things by now. The other thing is that its a single point of failure - maybe install two CPSs around the crankshaft and be able to electrically switch to the other in case the primary dies?

Stop making sense!! Next you'll want them to tell you when the primary is bad too.

Hmmm, I've been running the grey since the recall came out and have had zero problems with the exception of the rough idle. My dealer wouldn't give me my black one back so I currently have no spare. Thinking about trying the dark blue since when I do drive the truck, 1-2 mpg's really isn't a concern as much as reliability is.

If you want a dark blue one, send me your postal address and I'll send you the one I bought.

Dark Blue or Grey causes a p0308 code, and failure of CCT test. Black passes with flying colors..

I also picked up Autoenginuity OBDII scanner program; it's really nice for the money.

Back