• Register Today It's free!

Jack shaft sproket bolt

grumpenstein

Reaction score
City, State
palm city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer XLT 4X4
Greetings, I am working on a 2004 Explorer 4X4 with a 4.0 For no other reason but having to wait a few more days on parts, has anyone reused the jack shaft bolts when rebuilding the 4.0. If so what can you re- torque the bolts to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greetings, I am working on a 2004 Explorer 4X4 with a 4.0 For no other reason but having to wait a few more days on parts, has anyone reused the jack shaft bolts when rebuilding the 4.0. If so what can you re- torque the bolts to?
hi
yes I have reused it, no issues
point to note is that you should put in new jackshaft bearings as that is a major cause of low oil pressure in the 4.0's. I made my own tool to pull them out and press the bearings in.

Thanks for the reply, what torque did you use?

My manual says jackshaft sprocket bolts:
Front 33 lbs plus 90 degrees
Rear 15 lbs plus 90 degrees

My manual says jackshaft sprocket bolts:
Front 33 lbs plus 90 degrees
Rear 15 lbs plus 90 degrees

That's interesting. I have not seen the rear bolt yet, in hand to compare to the front. But aren't they virtually the same?

The rear is a female Torx and the front is a male torx. If I recall correctly. I haven't compared them visually together at the same time either. This info came straight from my Haynes manual.

90 deg meaning 1/2 turn ?

It's an easy 1/4 turn, besides holding the parts still.

That lower torque for the back one sounds like it's smaller, say a 5/16" bolt versus a 3/8" bolt.

I think 90 degrees is a 1/4 turn. 90,90,90,90 = 360 (thinking out loud)

My socket size for the front is an E-18, if my memory serves.

I think 90 degrees is a 1/4 turn. 90,90,90,90 = 360 (thinking out loud)

My socket size for the front is an E-18, if my memory serves.

Yes, my fuzzy math was wrong, 90 is 1/4 turn.

The rear is a female Torx and the front is a male torx. If I recall correctly. I haven't compared them visually together at the same time either. This info came straight from my Haynes manual.
So is the rear a left hand tread

The rear cam bolt is reverse thread
And don't reuse the jack shaft bolts
They are torque to yield ........plus 90° gives it away

Back