Upper oil pan CRACKED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper oil pan CRACKED

postquantum

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
Hi guys!

This is my second explorer build, and first of this generation. Im doing the balance shaft chain tensioner on my 2002 4.0 explorer and Im in the rebuild phase (for the second time now). My brilliant self decided to torque the upper oil pan (I think Its called block cradle) reinforcement bolts (13mm) to 87ft-lbs, the torque setting is (should be) 10 ft lbs. i put two small cracks on inner middle sections of the upper oil pan, but they are inner sections next to the bolts, right on corners (inside, not on the sides of the pan) of where the metal corners to make a hole, and they are both all the way through.
Will this be safe to finish putting back together? All the outer bolts are fine, its an inner reinforcement of which there are many, and the rest of everything sits perfectly.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My concern would be the little vibrations finishing off the crack or pieces of metal contaminating the oil system. Since these engines are very common you can easily find a cheap used replacement pan. Good bit of labor to fix it but in the end you won't have to worry.

I do have an extra pan, send me a PM with zip code and I'll get you a shipped price.

Yezzir. I didnt word that brilliantly, the crack is finished off. is it okay then? If theres nothing more to crack?

PS. Ill try and upload some pics of it too. Hugely appreciate the help!

The issue is those bolts that go down the center and the rest of the oil pan act as a girdle to the main bearing caps. Will it be ok? Probably but if it was my truck I would swap it out.

So I have a new problem. Pulled an all nighter last night to get the engine together, started it up this morning and it killed itself. I think the Pistons must have slammed into the valves the first time I built it. Great.
I'm going to possibly pull the motor and buy a new one, but i tried pulling the motor before and simply couldn't get the top two bolts connecting the transmission to the engine. Haynes manual is absolutely worthless.

Does anyone have any good resources, write ups, or experience with pulling the motor?
How did you get those two bolts? What tool did you use on them?

PLEASE HELP this is supposed to be a work truck and I have 5 weeks till the season starts.

Remove the complete intake manifold and get the top trans bolts from the top.

Back