James Duff lift - too high in front!!?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

James Duff lift - too high in front!!??

MNLaredo

Reaction score
City, State
Stillwater, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Installed a James Duff 3-1/2" lift on my '92 XLT. Originally I wanted only the 2-1/2" kit but they said they were out of stock so they would send the 3-1/2" instead. After all is done, the front sets a full inch higher than the rear (see photo - looks awful!!). When I talked to their tech support I was advised that the front in time would "settle". Huh?? I think not. :thumbdwn: Your thoughts?

Seems to me like I got 2-1/2" for the rear and 3-1/2" springs for the front. Sent photos to James Duff as they requested but still no response. Any feedback from those who have installed this kit??

Explorerlift.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.5" kit for the '91-94? Huh? They only show a 2.5" lift for the 91-94 X, which uses new coils, radius arm drop brackets, axle pivot drop brackets, and lift shackles for the rear. The only way I can see 3.5" of lift happening in the rear is with a combo of the lift shackles, an add-a-leaf, or blocks.

Part of the reason the front is higher than the rear is the brand spanking new coil springs on the front, along with the used and worn leaf springs in the rear. The front WILL settle some after the coils wear in, but you could probably wind up with a more level ride using an add-a-leaf or something. If your kit didn't have a pair of add-a-leafs or a block, call and ask if they'd send one as part of the kit. New leaf springs are a good idea if they are in your budget, perhaps James Duff will give you a good deal on those too if you nag them enough about having a sagging rear end on your Explorer, or you could look at other options for 1.5" lift leaf springs.

Also, that is one clean looking first gen. The newer rims look great on it, too.

Thanks for the compliment. I bought it with a blown engine from a retired school teacher. Body and interior are REALLY nice but the motor suffered from lack of oil changes :rolleyes: (LOTS of sludge!!). Installed a brand new Jasper long block a couple months ago (no hoist, on my back, in my garage, UH!! - never again) and I'm good to go. :thumbsup:

The wheels are from an '02 Explorer but they required 1-1/2" spacers to get the offset correct.

As for the ride height, it sat level before the install, and the kit did include BOTH the longer rear shackles AND the add-a-leaf which did result in a 2-1/2 raise in the rear. When I opened the box for the front springs I thought to myself "Wow! - these look reeeeally long!?!?" I guess I'll give them a call again on Monday. I have intalled new springs before on other vehicles and seen a slight bit of settling but never a full inch.

Lookin' good. I think that it will settle. it's only an inch.

Just move down here to So Cal, you'll fit right in. ;)

It will most likely settle in. When I lifted my '94, the nose was higher than the tail, but after a couple of weeks it settled down.

I had the same problem when I used their lift a few years back, I used a explorer pro-comp add-a-leaf and it gave me the lift I needed to level it out.
someplace on this forum there should be some pictures I took of the 2 diffrent add-a-leafs, this would have been back in '03-'04

THAT TRUCK IS HELLA BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me jealous

Update - just got off the phone and confirmed that they DID in fact send me the wrong springs for the front - looks like a shipping/supply error. No worries though - I found the the guy I talked to today to be very helpful and professional about trying to resolve the issue. Unfortunately the correct shorter springs will not be available until August. Aside from this little glitch - overall it was a quality set of parts/brackets etc. The real test of a company is how they respond to problems - I think the Duff boys did well, all things considered. :salute:

ummmm.... your tuck looks really good to me, but then again i live in so cal like prs said haha. i love the nose up look :)

i myself would just add taller shackles and call it a day...:D

What springs did they send you? last I checked, they only had 2.5" and 3.5" kits for the X.. And they have matching drop brackets (2.5 springs use a different drop bracket than the 3.5" springs).

When I got my new springs from them (2.5" springs) I had to show that I already had the 2.5" drop brackets from them (I got them long enough ago that I wasn't in their computer anymore)

~Mark

I could see getting the add a lief or some longer shackles. I wouldn't mess with the front. The higher the better right?

oh yeah, was your truck perfectly level to begin with?

When you put on that "new winch" it wil settle down :)

Back