Japanese vehicles rated most reliable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Japanese vehicles rated most reliable

Kontrol-Trak

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95' EB 4X4
According to the Consumer Reports...Explorer Sport Trac was the worst in the category :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not surprised. Looks like Toyota led the pack with the most of Consumer Reports top picks. They do make some great vehicles though. They also said that Chrysler was the most reliable of the American manufacturers. That, I was surprised about. I wish that all American auto makers would get their acts together and work toward making more reliable, higher quality products.

What's beyond me is that even some of the domestic cars are made here in the states. Like the Accord I beleive is made in Kentucky or some where around there. But the point is they still make very good cars. And some domestic car plant accross the street can't keep their cars from catching fire. WTF?

Toyotas may be reliable but I find them cramped and uncomfortable.

I'd like to know what they mean by "problems". Is it major like an engine blowing up or breaks squealing? There should also be a note that people that buy imports tend to take care of them better. 95% of the cars we take in on trade are TRASHED and need at least $500 worth of work. When I worked at a detail shop most of the imports we did were clean to begin with. I drove around a 4runner we took in today and it was solid as a rock and spotless. But as said, it did seem cramped. I get pissed off when a Honda that is built by Americans is better than a Ford, built by the same people. It tells me it's not who builds it, it's the company. Working for a Ford dealer, I can't really (as much as I'd like to) dump my ST for a Frontier. But I think I may drive my ST to the ground buy an Infinity G35 and just never drive it to work. BTW, I'd NEVER buy a car from Toyota after they gave in to Jesse Jackson.

i noticed that for the past few years consumer reports has given the thumbs up to import cars and calls american cars the reliability risks. i've owned many different cars (foreign and domestic); and if you take good care of it, it should last. there are the occasional "lemons" but i dont think all of a certain make or model could be labeled as unreliable.

I don't like Chryslers engines. Remember those chrysler minivans? Practically all of them burn oil. Well, my engine may not have hp, but i think it is Damn reliable. The tranny is a whole different issue :p

I'd also like to know what they considered to be a problem during the testing time. I also find Toyotas small and cramped on the inside. And their interiors look a little plain to me, at least on the affordable ones. I'm sure a decked out Land Cruiser has a really nice interior to go along with its $40,000+ price tag. :eek:

Originally posted by espnfreak
I don't like Chryslers engines. Remember those chrysler minivans? Practically all of them burn oil. Well, my engine may not have hp, but i think it is Damn reliable. The tranny is a whole different issue :p

Alot of the Chrysler minivans had mitsu engines :rolleyes:

I guess the merger with Daimler has really done something to boost Chrysler's quality. I haven't heard many good stories about Chrysler reliability.

We had a Chryler with the Mitsubishi engine and that burned oil. We then had one with an american engine and the engine was great but the trannies sucked. We were on our 3rd tranny when it was totalled when it was 6 yrs old.

I don't know how Chrysler can be named reliable. My mom has owned 2 and had problems with the A/C on both. The company I work for switced to Chryslers for company cars about 4 years ago. One of the executives had to have the trany replaced 3 times. Needles to say they switched back to GM.

the way I see it.. if you have 200 domestic cars.. and 75 imports.. I HOPE the 75 imports have less shop visits in total than the 200 domestics... its all relativity. although I'm sure consumer reports would take such a thing into consideration.

I don care what anyone says about reliability and whatnot, 99% of imports are small ugly and lack the adequate power for practical use IMO. Not to mention the addition of those horrible "ricers" all over town, imports have a baaaad name in my book and get no respect from me based on reliability ratings. We'll see in 20 years whos more reliable. You go to a junkyard and what do you see? (late model junkyards) literally hundreds of toyotas nissans and hondas.. I can't find any good parts for my '71 truck or even for my mounty because there are simply none of them in the yards.

Ya ask me, imports are "throw away" cars.. you drive it till 1 or 2 things goes wrong, then you chunk it and buy another one. I seriously doubt in 20-30 years there will be a restoration market for imports. So.. so much for reliabity :)

I can't belive people still buy into what consumer reports "reports". Toyota has been pretty much buying them out every year based on some of the reports they give out. With the suzuki cover up and the isuzu cover up they made up its amazing that anyone still belives what they print. Sorry to say but I refuse to belive a thing that magazine "reports".

I have to agree with Paul, they are very tight inside. As far as reliability, my Ranger will give any Toyota a run for it's money. The only thing replaced on it at 117k is the clutch and a u-joint. Not to mention the Ranger is cheaper to fix if it breaks down.

This may be true, Jap cars may be the most reliable. But their trannys are crap! Who ever at Ford thought a Mazda tranny was the way to go for X's should be:shoot: :D

Our last company truck was a 1987 Nissan Pickup.

This truck has to be the most reliable vehicle that i have ever owned.

The motor finally blew ( at 80 MPH ) after 354,000 miles.

Nothing EVER broke or had to be replaced other than standard maintenance items such as brakes, hoses, belts, and 1 clutch, a few light bulbs.

Wish I could say the same for my Explorer.....

Until they breakdown!

Jason

Originally posted by DarkFox1
99% of imports are small ugly and lack the adequate power for practical use IMO. Not to mention the addition of those horrible "ricers" all over town, imports have a baaaad name in my book and get no respect from me based on reliability ratings.

Not all imports are Corolla's or Civics :D There are plenty of imports with power and good styling...whether they are from Japan or Europe. Anyone that says imports have nothing on domestics are blind, ignorant or maybe both. I don't mean to insult anyone, because I like both imports and domestics. But Japanese and European cars sell anywhere in the world. Can you say the same about American cars?

BTW I see just as many riced out domestics as imports where I live. Don't tell me you haven't seen a V6 Mustang with a Cobra badge and bookshelf wing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea, thats a good point. even I've been acused of domestic rice.. but hey whatever heh. Still tho, a farting honda with a double decker wing that takes 22 seconds to do a 1/4 mile gives all other imports a really bad name I think we can all agree heh

Back