Jerkey 4*4 turns

Nader

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992, Explorer XLT
Hello everybody!
I have a 92 XLT (auto lockout ). When in 4*4 mode only, I have to fight the steering wheel. It jerks back either left or right hand sharp turns and U truns. I try to do my own maintenace on the vehicle. This is a new one for me. I have no problems in 2 wheel drive. Any ideas where I should start to eliminate the problem?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!

What you are describing is not that uncommon of a problem, really with any 4WD vehicle, when you try to turn very sharply. In a sharp turn, the front drive u-joints are operating at a fairly severe angle, so they will tend to bind a little, hence the herky jerky steering. This would be especially pronounced on dry pavement, where tire slippage is minimal, so it would be advisable to refrain from sharp turns in 4WD on dry pavement. Puts too much strain on the front u-joints and transfer case. Also, if you havn't engaged the front wheels for a while, the u-joints will tend to be somewhat stiff from inactivity, after a while they should loosen up somewhat and provide less feedback through the steering wheel.

The stock u-joints are sealed, with no means to lubricate them, so there's really no maintainance to be done.

Try not to use 4WD on dry pavement like city streets or highways, as that puts quite a bit of undo stess on the system. Use it in low traction situations like mud and snow, and low range offroad crawling.

Not only is it the u-joints, but the difference in how much the front and rear axles are spinning. When in 4wd and steering, you cause the front axle, or rear, to spin slightly more than the opposite axle. This causes the transfer case to want to distribute equal spin to each and causes the slower axle to attempt to catch up. This causes tire slipping and steering jerks. Wow. I hope that was nont too confusing. I think I confused myself.:confused:

actually, the axles arent spinning at different rates its the left and right tires that are spinning at different rates. When turning right, your left wheel has to spin faster because it has to go a longer distance then the right wheel in the same amount of times.. so that means that the right wheel has to give somehow, it usually means chirping of the tires. It is not a good idea to use 4wd on dry surfaces.

Chris,

Your explanation would be a good one if there was a locker in the front differential, physically linking the left and right axle half shafts to the driveshaft and demanding that each front tire turn at the same speed, but most stock X's use a standard open differential in the front, which allows the front tires to turn at different speeds when turning, just like a stock open rear diff does. So on a normal X with open diffs, the front diff does allow the tires to spin at different speeds without having to chirp the tires.

Even with open diffs, there is some conflict between the front and rear driveshafts because the front tires and the rear tires travel a different arc and distance than each other in a given turn, thus causing some strain on the transfer case. That's why it's a good idea to run 4WD on surfaces that allow the tires some slippage.

Originally posted by lifted_95
actually, the axles arent spinning at different rates its the left and right tires that are spinning at different rates. When turning right, your left wheel has to spin faster because it has to go a longer distance then the right wheel in the same amount of times.. so that means that the right wheel has to give somehow, it usually means chirping of the tires. It is not a good idea to use 4wd on dry surfaces.
Thats obvious that one wheel doesn't spin as much as the other. But the drivelines don't want to spin equally when you are turning in 4wd. So to make up for the difference, it causesa jerking and a slipping of a tire.

I am getting the same thing BUT I am gettin it when I am going straight down the road. If someone can help me I would apprecite it. I replace all u joints, spindle bearings, ball joints, rebuilt the front diff, and name it I have done it. It is VERY hard to control in 4x4 the wheel wants to pull left and right all by its self.

Eric

for you guys with the jerky 4x4..... just some question....
is there a loud clicking noise comming form the front? when you turn the wheel? the wheel pops in and out of 4x4? if so then look at you hubs.... down inside there is a little c clip... and it will come off or sheer off... and cause the auto hub to slide around engaging and disengaging.... cause for jerky 4x4 stearing....

Back