• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

JLT Oil Separator - ST

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rat72

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
England
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Got mine yesterday, planning to install this weekend, just curious, will additional oil be necessary?

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Got mine yesterday, planning to install this weekend, just curious, will additional oil be necessary?
Has nothing to do with the oil or oil lines, so no you will not.

evilgeek

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So it seems like lethalperformance.com will ship these to california if you accept the disclaimer that they are not street legal and for race use only. Just ordered one, will see what happens.

Jbcain

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Quick easy mod. Crank case line could be a hair longer but it's whatever.

For the scaredy cats, literally grab the OEM line after the intake connection and pull up towards the hood and kink the line to rotate it towards the front of the vehicle to access the tab release safety. Easier just after the vehicle was driven so the line will be softer.

ljn21

Reaction score
City, State
Tega Cay, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone know if JLT is working on a drivers side can or one is needed?

evilgeek

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Received mine today (shipped to CA via FL) and the install was surprisingly easy, except for the part where I dropped one of the screws into the engine bay. Oops! Was able to recover it by crawling underneath and taking off the splash shield (which was considerably more work).

EcobeastSTExp

Reaction score
City, State
West Palm Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
You can check with UPR Products, I had their catch can for my 2014 F150 Ecoboost and will buy their new one for my 2020 ST. uprproducts.com located in Florida

joshua Evans

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Will def get the UPR catch can. Ran one on my 1100HP mustang, Shelby GT350 and whipple F150. Top notch parts always from UPR

joshua Evans

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Did you get any of the extras like the drain hose or the high flow check valve? Nice unit but pricey.
I got the check valves just because it’s an added security with boost.

they are pricey but the components are first class. And continental hoses aren’t just better quality they look 100 times better in the engine bay.

Joseph Mainiero

Reaction score
City, State
LAKE WORTH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I got the check valves just because it’s an added security with boost.

they are pricey but the components are first class. And continental hoses aren’t just better quality they look 100 times better in the engine bay.
Just wanted to share this with you as we always want to make sure our fellow enthusiasts have the best information. I'm just sharing this video link
so you can see what the 2020 ST requires for a catch can system and the fact that is always important to protect both the driver and passenger side
of the PCV system with any ecoboost engine.

Thank you, Joe

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Joe.

Peter

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
These catch cans aren't all that useful, it's solving a problem that has been blown out of proportion. On the older supercharger applications, it made sense because of how the PCV system was designed allowing oil to cake up the intercoolers. But the stock EcoBoost V6 valve covers have a built-in oil separator at the PCV valve area and are very effective. When I ran a JLT on my SHO and Fusion Sport (2.7 is basically the same as the 3.0), all it caught was vapor/fumes - almost zero drops of engine oil. This stuff will burn/combust very easily and is piped directly into the intake manifold.
My girlfriend's Malibu 2.0 GTDI (LTG engine, basically same as EcoBoost) ingests like 2-3 qt of oil every 7500 miles and has over 93,000 miles. It holds boost just fine, no issues with intake valve crudding or intercooler problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

evilgeek

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I mean, my collector has greater than zero amounts of sludge in it, and I usually put 150-200k miles on my vehicles, so every little bit helps.

There have also been controlled experiments where valves were weighed before and after controlled duty cycles, with and without a can, and the valves came out with measurable deposits from the can-less runs.

Obviously millions of vehicles run around without cans and don't instantly clog up, but talk to any mechanic who works on direct injection engines, and they will tell you that problems do arise eventually.