Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more)

Well I purchased 91 explorer 4x4, 4 door, 5speed from a coworker for 100 dollars. It had an electrical fire inside. So the whole inside was pretty much trashed. I got it with the plan to build it into a weekend warrior. The plans include Herculined interior, roll cage, full width dana 44 and 9 inch swap, custom bumpers, onboard air, rebuild motor, trans and some other things. This project will take me awhile. I want to take my time and do it right the first time. Everything i wanted to do to my 93 will be done to this 91. So it make take some time to see any major changes but I will update as offten as I can. I would also like to hear some of your ideas if you have any. I will be making a list of things that i have done and how much the cost me. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible. Pics will also be added as i go along.

Things Done So Far
91 Explorer- 100 dollars
Rewired and replaced dash.- 40 dollars from the junk yard.
Painted interior and leftover interior panels flat black- 20 dollars
Herculined the floor- 40 dollars
Dana 44 and Ford 9 inch- 150 dollars
Disc brake caliper brackets off a 78 mercury - 10 dollars
Chopped the top- Free
Upgraded the front seat from a 99 eddie bauer- 20 bucks

These pics are the old dash

dash2.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks really good , good luck with it cant wait to see the end product, and of course some more progress shots.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I had got this a few weeks ago with the plan to put it in the explorer once the top was off. It came from a ranger 88? Paid 20 bucks for it from the junk yard. it was a bigger pain in the arse then cuttin the top off the explorer. I'll be cuttin it here soon to make it fit. I'll post more pics of the install when that time comes.

top3.jpg

Crazy, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Well I decided I wanted to replace the front seats rather then redo them. After hunting the junkyards for a few weeks I finally found my seats. They are from a 99 Eddie Bauer ford explorer. I thought I was gonna have modify brakets to get these things in there. But to my surprise all I had to do was remove the seat bracket from the 91 seats and mount it on the 99 seats. After that they bolted right in. I say i would recomend this to anyone with a 1st gen x. cause damn what a difference there is between the 91 and 99 seat. So for 20 bucks I have some verry comfy seats. Here are some pics the first is the seat bracket difference and the second starting at the left is the 91 seat next to the tan 99 seat, then the 99 seat after i painted it black with that vinyl paint. Man I love that stuff. So what do you guys think.

seat2.jpg

seats.jpg

Why don't you weld on a rear hatch instead of messing with the ranger cab? I plan on doing that. That way you can open up the window too.

Kirby

kinda don't like the look with the hatch welded on. Plus i'm gona chop the hatch up for a tailgate. Plus i like to be different some times. :D I might also take out the rear window and put a removeable one in.

now your talkin

Positive Vibes said:
Signing up.

And just how did you find a dana 44 AND 9 inch for $150?????

I purchased mine for 50.00 complete.

150.00 is still a steal. Congrats on what looks to be a very nice buildup.

Joe93 said:
kinda don't like the look with the hatch welded on. Plus i'm gona chop the hatch up for a tailgate. Plus i like to be different some times. :D I might also take out the rear window and put a removeable one in.

Ok, Ok. I like to be different too. I have been thinking about doing the hatch thing for like 3 years or so after I saw a cherokee done (which is an entirly harder process since thier hatch is fiberglass) and I thought it would be cool. It seems like lately that is the route everyone is going!! I really want to mount the hatch so the wiper, defrost, 3rd brake light and window hinge all work. Then use either part of the hatch and a step side ranger tailgate or none of the hatch and a regular ranger tailgate to have a working tailgate (I have a regular bed tailgate so I imagine it will be this one). I figure the bed on a sport is going to be so small that if I had the extra room from a tailgate it would help.

The only thing holding me up is that I slept in a tent a year or so ago on a wheeling trip. I almost forgot that sleeping on the ground sucks! Right now I can set up my queen size matress in the back of my truck and me and my wife camp in style. if I cut the roof off, I am in a tent!

I think it will look more finished if you use that ranger cab and finish it off. I have seen some blazers use pickup cabs and they look factory. I want to see this thing in person!

Kirby

$20 for those EB seats?????????

Black looks NICE good idea. Will it stick?

subscribing...i have to live vicariously through you crazy ones :confused: . I wont cut my roof off until i :roll: . But once that happens (hopefully not for a long time) I will go balls out on the buildup.

slravene said:
subscribing...i have to live vicariously through you crazy ones :confused: . I wont cut my roof off until i :roll: . But once that happens (hopefully not for a long time) I will go balls out on the buildup.

im in the same boat...

Yeah, I want ta see what happens with this build too. Good luck with the project.
Derbytown

410Fortune said:
$20 for those EB seats?????????

Black looks NICE good idea. Will it stick?

I used that vinyl paint stuff and it works great and looks pretty good to. At the junkyard I got them from its a u pull yard and all there seat are 10 bucks each. Oh and Kirby if you wana stop by and see it when i get the back done let me know

will the power still work on the seats?

no the power doesnt work. I didn't want the power part, cause just more stuff to break. I'm sure it cou;ld be made to work.

dude the power seats are sweet! All it needs is a + and - wire, which are likely already in the truck. My seats will move all the way forward to touch the dash and all the way back to almost hit the back seat. the up/down adjsutability really kicks ass for visability when wheeling (all the way up) and comfort on long trips.

410Fortune said:
dude the power seats are sweet! All it needs is a + and - wire, which are likely already in the truck. My seats will move all the way forward to touch the dash and all the way back to almost hit the back seat. the up/down adjsutability really kicks ass for visability when wheeling (all the way up) and comfort on long trips.

I may have to try and hook them up then, just another thing to add to the list. :D

Back