Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more)

Well I purchased 91 explorer 4x4, 4 door, 5speed from a coworker for 100 dollars. It had an electrical fire inside. So the whole inside was pretty much trashed. I got it with the plan to build it into a weekend warrior. The plans include Herculined interior, roll cage, full width dana 44 and 9 inch swap, custom bumpers, onboard air, rebuild motor, trans and some other things. This project will take me awhile. I want to take my time and do it right the first time. Everything i wanted to do to my 93 will be done to this 91. So it make take some time to see any major changes but I will update as offten as I can. I would also like to hear some of your ideas if you have any. I will be making a list of things that i have done and how much the cost me. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible. Pics will also be added as i go along.

Things Done So Far
91 Explorer- 100 dollars
Rewired and replaced dash.- 40 dollars from the junk yard.
Painted interior and leftover interior panels flat black- 20 dollars
Herculined the floor- 40 dollars
Dana 44 and Ford 9 inch- 150 dollars
Disc brake caliper brackets off a 78 mercury - 10 dollars
Chopped the top- Free
Upgraded the front seat from a 99 eddie bauer- 20 bucks

These pics are the old dash

dash2.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hiridin said:
Joe93 said:
4.88 gears, lockers(haven't decided which yet) 38's or 37's probibaly 38's(can get a cheap set here soon).QUOTE]

4.88 gears and 38's isn't going to be a good combo imho. don't u think 5.13's or even 5.38's would work alot better...? especially since u have a standard tranny.. 4.56's and 35's with a manual and the ohv isn't enough gearing to keep things running smoothly (trust me) so 4.88's and 38's is going to suck even worse. cuz unless yer going to swap in a v8 to make up for improper gearing yer going to greatly hinder its performance. which will decrease its fun factor offroad and on. its alot of time and trouble and money your going through to fix this thing up jus to let something like gearing screw it up for you. i'm not downing u or nothing like that jus friendly advice. and i speak from experience so i made the mistake so u don't have to ;)

I agree. I am running 34s with 4.56s and I am not low enough to keep my clutch alive in the rocks...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i was lookin at those cause a guy i work with had a set for the 9" i could have for free. But like you guys said thats probibaly not goin to be a good combo. So im still tryin to decide on what to go with? Any advice. Plan on doin some highway trips to get where i need to go. So need to get up to highway speeds.

I welcome peoples opinions and ideas thats why i started this thread. I don't know everything but with this board you have alot of people that do know alot that are usually willing to give some ideas and opinions.

i was originally planning on running 38's or to be exact a 37.1" tall tire (38x15.50 tsl radial) and i was going to use 5.38 gearing with it but 1. thats pushing a dana 44 pretty hard and 2. i have a brand new set of 35's which would be a little small for that gearing so i jus went with 5.13's. anyways with 37" or 38" which ever u'd still be running lower rpm's than i am with 5.13's and my 35's. and i can do highway speeds with ease. and my rpm's aren't bad either. 2600 rpms at 70mph or so... not sure exactly i have no speedo. but if yer going with that big of a tire i'd say 5.38's :thumbsup: even though the front is 5.38's and the 9" takes 5.43 or something. but i checked and its still ok to run it like that. that would be a decent combo. otherwise stick with 5.13's and 36's... that and put in a heavy duty clutch that can handle some abuse. if nothing else goes wrong that needs taking care of that'll be my next upgrade.

Just a little update. Got the part of the ranger cab pretty much cut to fit in there. Still need to make a few final cuts to get it just right then we can start to weld it in. Sorry for the crapy pics. its not the best lighting where the explorer is at. So what do ya think?

top4.jpg

Sweet project! I am planning on 5.13 gears and 36's....we'll see how it goes.

wow thats lookin great

looks good, i like how u used the cab. im cheap and just used the rear hatch off the explorer.

zainyD said:
Sweet project! I am planning on 5.13 gears and 36's....we'll see how it goes.
that's what I'm gonna do as well... I just have to find a rear axle

I also want to put a ranger cab on it like you are doing that way it's not so cold in winter :p I have a plan for the tailgate as well, using the stock latch but a slightly different design.
Keep up the great work

I'm really interested in the rear hatch, want to do the same thing to mine. Got any more info and pics on that?

Do you have any more pictures of the cab from maybe a diffrent angle? It looks good from the back, I would just like a diffrent angle. I also think 5.13's will work with the 37's. I am running 36's with 3.55's, it is ok but I have to use too much of the right pedal. I don't drive it on the road at all, maybe around town is all. So for me it could rev to 8k at 70mph and it wouldn't bother me.

Eric

no update yet been busy with work and Lookin for a new place. will get sometime to work on it here soon. Then i'll post pics.

Joe, how did you figure out where to mount the hinges????? Also, did you use the cable from the 88 bronco also?

JoshC said:
Joe, how did you figure out where to mount the hinges????? Also, did you use the cable from the 88 bronco also?

If you look at a big bronco you will see where i mounted them. I just tried to mount them in the same location. The cables I think are off a chev s10 blazer. They were layin on the ground by one and i picked them up. I don't think the fullsize broncos use a cable on there gates. I think they use somthing else. could be wrong though.

full size broncos do have tailgate cables, my old 91 did atleast

jsut bringin this thread back

dude, can you still get those 4.56s for cheap?

Back