Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex)

Here are some pics of the inside of the Ecase.

0154236339467069_5546486790147818721_n_zpsypxelbix.jpg

0154236339377069_8228234628923161047_n_zpsuevhv6yk.jpg

0154192452097069_3748170729415896646_n_zpsifaagsay.jpg

0154192452107069_6390169980001659762_n_zpsghqxfp5a.jpg

The chain was nice and tight, very little wear on the teeth, and all the plastic bushings were still in excellent shape!

I'll use the busted manual case for spare doubler parts, as the front cover of the doubler had a lot of hairline cracks in it. Not sure if that was just the casting or if the cracks were legit, but definitely something I will be keeping my eye on.

Hope to get the doubler all back together in the evenings of this weekend so that the next warm evening or weekend, I can get the cases back in to start doing wiring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how similar are the 94 and the 91 when it comes to wiring?

ABS system is completely different. Other than that, I don't know for sure. Lots of wires are the same color codes throughout the first gen's. That book has come in very handy over the past few years.

ABS system is completely different. Other than that, I don't know for sure. Lots of wires are the same color codes throughout the first gen's. That book has come in very handy over the past few years.

Sounds like I need to quit farting around and buy one of these myself.

Did your 94 version come with the provisions/ extras found only on the limited? I keep playing with this thought of adding limited stuff to my sport, but I kinda need some wiring info.

Glad you got a book. Honestly, I am kinda lazy but I don't mind scanning a few specific pages. But, as you saw, the EVTMs are cheap and having a physical copy of the entire wiring diagram is well worth the cost.

Glad you got a book. Honestly, I am kinda lazy but I don't mind scanning a few specific pages. But, as you saw, the EVTMs are cheap and having a physical copy of the entire wiring diagram is well worth the cost.

I was thinking they were over 100 bucks, but at 20 bucks for both books, I'm all over that. lol

Get the EVTM book. I bought the book and a set of wiring schematics. The schematics were worthless; small print and full of engineering symbols that I had to look up. I threw them away after I got the book. It should be all you will ever need.

Get the EVTM book. I bought the book and a set of wiring schematics. The schematics were worthless; small print and full of engineering symbols that I had to look up. I threw them away after I got the book. It should be all you will ever need.
I did. Shipped on Tuesday from Michigan. Should be at my house today when I get home.

well, it didn't make it here Friday, but it did arrive today. Really nice condition for a 25 year old service manual that was 20 bucks.

I have all the pages marked related to the shift motor, the dash switch, and the electronic shift control module

tell ya what. I spend alot of time looking at first gens. And what you have done with yours takes the cake. LOVE YOUR RIG. merica

tell ya what. I spend alot of time looking at first gens. And what you have done with yours takes the cake. LOVE YOUR RIG. merica

lol, thanks man. Still not perfect, but it's getting there.

working on this when i get the chance. Got the doubler all back together. Supposed to be warm this weekend, so putting it back in so I can start doing the Electrical chase down.

Here are some pics, because everyone likes pictures!

Rear case mounting flange

0154236339422069_5637867097680856749_n_zpsi0fupu6z.jpg

Front driveshaft clearance and rotated the case back to where Dan had it (higher)
0154236339522069_9177056888535380679_n_zpsliyyxhit.jpg

All bolted up and ready to go back in. You can see a slight indication of the red white and blue paint job from the failed setup. Decided to keep this one stock and just focus on it working.
0154236339627069_8780064246691173783_n_zpslsgxaixh.jpg

0154236339652069_2400417770138296566_n_zpsgp5cnj2p.jpg

Dan said it was a pair of 1354s, but I always thought the 1354 had the 6 planetary setup, and this one only has the 4, so I think it is a 1350 front, and a 1354 rear.

Now the exploded manual case I have as spare parts is a 1354 6 planetary unit that I will use should this ever fail me.

worked on the ol gal all weekend long.

decided to go back to some factory headlights. Trying to get the truck street legal again so I can hopefully get it tagged in So Cal.
10154251916302069_772680127155747047_n_zpskwkurel2.jpg

These are not street legal, but I have some stockers I can throw on for inspection time :)
0154274579072069_8372138441624516308_n_zpsqhku30c0.jpg

Went to 24 bolt TWF recentered H1 wheels. No real benefit over the 8 bolts I had other than the centers are balanced and straight when they leave TWF, which will help with road manners.

Also got the transfer cases back in, and all the fluids changed out. Probably will run it for a month and change the oil again, it was definitely neglected.

The greatest news is the E-Shift case is working! Kinda... It shifts into and out-of 4Hi with no problems whatsoever. It will not shift into 4Lo. This is a problem as 4Lo is where I need to be to run the doubler, and where I usually leave it when wheeling. The switch on the dash is clicking, but I haven't tested to see if the signal is sending. I did try both my dash switches (i have a spare) and both had the same results. 4hi and 2wd were no problem, 4Lo is not activating.

Going to try and pick up a new electronic shift control module off ebay or the JY as well as test the switch. I'm feeling pretty confident the switch is working, it is at the module where things go crazy.

You moving to So-Cal? If so....................................Truckhaven!!!

Does your Explorer still have all the smog stuff it came with?

You moving to So-Cal? If so....................................Truckhaven!!!

Does your Explorer still have all the smog stuff it came with?

Yes and possibly... It was never a California smog truck, but it should still have all the factory stuff. I don't see why Dan would have taken that off. It does have an exhaust leak, so that and it will likely need a new set of cats, but other than that it should be good. I am sure I will have to take a few trips to the Ref. to get it legal, but that is fine with me. I'd rather it be legal than deal with looking over my shoulder every time i drive it, like i will with the ranger. lol

back to san diego too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

back to san diego too.

Cool, send me a PM when you get settled, and I can direct you to my smog guy. Everything has to be there, but it doesn't have to be in the original location. Also, you will need CA BAR approved cats, unless they are over ten years old.

Back