Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex)

josh40601

Reaction score
City, State
La Mesa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger & Explorer
First off, this truck was well built before i ever got it. Most of the work was done by the PO

So to all those who say "Built not Bought", you can have that saying, as this thing is freaking amazing and I "bought, not built" it.

I bought the truck in 2011 to have a more trail rig as the plans for D-Ranged are more for expedition style, daily driver stuff.

When i bought the truck, i loved how Dan kept the body, all while building an extremely capable rig that seats 5 and has AC. I seen an explorer on here that was rattle-canned desert tan paint job, and loved it, so that's what i decided on going with. Then i decided to step it up a notch... Why not dedicate it to the men and women serving this great nation?? So that is what the theme as been.

here are some action shots from the previous owner...
4e17d440.jpg

wmimg_8956.jpg

Here is a normal shot.
16b02e7d.jpg

Plans in the beginning... Full cage, trusses, decorations, hydro assist, maybe more

As of now, this is what all I've done
* Hydro Assist
* new bumpers
* little interior stuff
* rock rings
* manual transfer case in the rear
* added a lot more dents. A lot more.

Goals once I get back to Cali are to get a little more serious with coilovers, possibly links out back, 9" front axle, full cage.

So why name it SGT Ex rather than leaving it looking like a somewhat stock explorer?

It is a tribute to all our active, veteran, and fallen service members, and also to those who risk their lives for everyone else's freedom. I also want to pay tribute to those non-military folk that risk their lives daily, but haven't decided on how to do that. The sides and roof get drug on too much stuff, so it will likely have to be something inside the cab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first this was Hydro Assist. The whining PS pump didn't bother Dan that much, but it drove me insane, so that sucker had to go

Tore down
100_2945.jpg

100_2949.jpg

100_2946.jpg

In went a Redneck Ram modified box, and their hydro assist kit. I also swapped out the factory power steering pump for a Cardone pump.

100_2952.jpg

100_2953.jpg

When I first did the hydro assist, the drag link was making contact with the ram mount. so much that after the picture below, I took it wheeling and ripped the ram mount off the axle.
100_2956.jpg

What I ended up doing is swapping out to a 2wd Ranger steering arm (which is completely flat) and it allowed for the Drag Link to not hit.

Excellent purchase!
What happens to the Ranger now??

new cab, new bed

Maybe put some of the decals indicating tire pressure rating and the like in a meme to the Humvee, and some of those signs in Arabic we slapped onto the back of every truck in Iraq.

I like what you are doing and I have been thinking of doing the same thing to mine for some time now. Where did you find you paint. Thanks

Maybe put some of the decals indicating tire pressure rating and the like in a meme to the Humvee, and some of those signs in Arabic we slapped onto the back of every truck in Iraq.

done.

I like what you are doing and I have been thinking of doing the same thing to mine for some time now. Where did you find you paint. Thanks

Walmart.... 11 cans of Krylon Ultra Flat Khaki

Well, I took the Ex out for the first time. Couple of easy trails in the woods with some tight corners, so i decided to redecorate the side of the rig with tree marks....

Also had my first experience with mud.... Here is how it turned out....
100_0165.jpg

Took 2 TJ's, a winch, a tow strap between the two Jeeps, and a strap tying the back jeep off to a tree to get me out.

The fan relay **** itself, but i have no idea where to find one. Here is a picture of it.
179d57e6.jpg

Maybe you guys can help.

Also broke the hydro assist mount off the axle, but Railman used a stick welder and got it all back on for me.

The CB also quit too.

got a few more pics....

Here is the first hole i made it through.... Should've just stayed with that one...

100_2971.jpg

Right after pulling me out

100_2972.jpg

Wheeling before the mud

100_2965.jpg

Smokey Ridge pin stripes

100_2968.jpg

Thanks dood!!

I drove the ol gal yesterday. Wasn't bad at all after changing to the new pitman arm and re-adjusting the track bar.

9/15 edit: rear hatch was painted by my buddy in Knoxville who is an Army vet.

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Well, this weekend i was over at my pop's place after the amazing UK game and my little brother and his friend asked me if the Sarge has ever crushed a car. I told them, "Not yet..."

You know that whole Redneck thing about "Hey Ya'll Watch This!" thing.... Well, I officially joined the club...

I began running over an old van we had out back...
9265b0f2.jpg

4741be03.jpg

Then decided to see just how high i could get on the van... And did this...

ee583d39.jpg

8b735669.jpg

58e31ff8.jpg

Only damage was a **** ton of powersteering fluid was lost, and i broke the side back window and the passenger mirror. Guess i need to add those to the "Need to Fix" list...

Oh well. At least i know what it feels like to flop one now. lol

been a bit since i updated here.

I updated the hydro mount, meaning i cut it off, and made a new one paying very close attention to setting the ram as level as possible with the tierod. Works MUUUUCH better now. Still slow though. Still haven't heard anything from PSC....

Also took it wheeling again. This time at Turkey Bay in Land Between the Lakes Park. Here is a couple pics.

100_0061.jpg

(You can see how much straighter the ram is here if you look at it)

100_0089.jpg

100_0087.jpg

Since then, i have done one upgrade that i think is just bad freaking ass....

SANY0307.jpg

A buddy of mine airbrushed the hood.

Nice Airbrush work , and also nice rig too !

Thanks Bruce!

Not a problem , one day here in the future im planing a sas and some more off road goodies for my rig , but for now it has to make me home from Northern Il to Middle GA , but i have some plans for it !

FINALLY got our matte clear in after it being on back-order for 3 weeks, so i finally got the hood back on. As you can see, the corner is a different shade due to the clear, but at least when i wash it, the paint will stay on.

100_0147.jpg

100_0148.jpg

Other than that, SGT Ex has been sitting around waiting on me to finish all the other junk.

Also planning a trip to Black Mountain OHV area for Easter weekend to see how Ex handles the big boy boulders.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn, that is just awesome. Once mine's back up and running, we should get our Ex's together for a little playdate. I might not be able to follow you down some of the tougher trails though, at least for now

Back