Just brought my 2012 XLT to the shop after only 400 miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just brought my 2012 XLT to the shop after only 400 miles

nyxltsol

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT-4WD
First the positives,

Love the way this thing handles. Been used to a sedan all my life, so when I finally made the switch, I was expecting a much different feel from the SUV, but was pleasantly surprised at how "sedanish" the handling is. I'm driving a 2010 explorer loaner right now, and the difference is night and day. There is no way I would ever have purchased the 2010 version, it handles exactly the way I expected a SUV to :p

Aesthetically, Ford really knocked this one out of the park. I can't find another comparable SUV on the market that looks as good as the 2012 Explorer, and that's including the luxury brands IMO. It absolutely kills the 4-Runner, Pilot and the GMC triplets that I was looking at. This is my first American car since the '84 Cadillac Seville I drove when I was 17 years old, so I'm extremely happy aobut the quality of materials used in the interior.

Smooth smooth ride. I can't say enough about it. Perhaps it's because of the bigger tires, but this thing makes the Belt Parkway ride a pleasant one, even with all the potholes.

Love the mytouch stuff. Makes me feel uber advanced :D

Now the negatives

As I said , had to go back to dealer after only 400 miles. The high pitch frequency when the car is running, the dashboard misaligned to the passenger window trim, plus the console paneling popping out are little detail things that I have never run into over the last 18 years that I've spent driving Japanese cars. I'm positive they saw this and just decided to let it go since I'm sure it would cost billions to fix it.

Power liftgate has like a 1 or 2 inch gap between itself and the car when closed. There's a lot of sealing around it, but man the gap is really noticeable.

Also, there is a weird grinding noise whenever the power liftgate is opening. I'm pretty certain it's the hydraulic system, but egads I did not expect it to be so loud.

Overall I am very very happy with the car, but if Ford wants my repeat business, they have got to start paying attention to the little details like the Japanese car companies do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It reminds me of that Ron Howard movie with Michael Keaton, Gung Ho. Defect, Defect, Defect. HA so what, that's up to the dealer to fix.

Power liftgate has like a 1 or 2 inch gap between itself and the car when closed. There's a lot of sealing around it, but man the gap is really noticeable.
Also, there is a weird grinding noise whenever the power liftgate is opening. I'm pretty certain it's the hydraulic system, but egads I did not expect it to be so loud.
Overall I am very very happy with the car, but if Ford wants my repeat business, they have got to start paying attention to the little details like the Japanese car companies do.
Welcome to the Forum nyxltsol.:wavey:
I am quite happy with mine after driving Highlanders for the past 10 years. There are others that have problems with misaligned liftgates as well. As for the grinding noise, that is not normal. I cannot even hear mine opening or closing.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum nyxltsol.:wavey:
I am quite happy with mine after driving Highlanders for the past 10 years. There are others that have problems with misaligned liftgates as well. As for the grinding noise, that is not normal. I cannot even hear mine opening or closing.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I STRONGLY considered the Highlander and 4-Runner before getting the Ford and have not regretted it except for the little things I just mentioned.

...Also, there is a weird grinding noise whenever the power liftgate is opening. I'm pretty certain it's the hydraulic system, but egads I did not expect it to be so loud...
Welcome to the boards, nyxltsol! :) It’s great to hear how much you love your new ride. I wanted to check to see that your concerns were taken care of. I’m happy to lend a hand if you shoot me a PM with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

first off im not trying to start a fight.....
second off are you new to the forum, and if you are not did you read up on the problems this truck is happening.

i dont know why people are buying this truck especially after reading all the cheap this ford has done with vehicle

i dont know why people are buying this truck especially after reading all the cheap this ford has done with vehicle
What ?????
It may surprise you to learn that there are likely many more owners who are happy with their Explorer than those who are not. Sure, some people have encountered problems with their vehicle, but then there are many other owners of other brands out there that are in the same boat. Do you even own the new Explorer??

second off are you new to the forum, and if you are not did you read up on the problems this truck is happening.

Hmmmm...can someone say troll??:rolleyes:
I also love your grammar, maybe some correct punctuation would have helped. I love replies like these...

I'm very happy with mine too. Ford took care of any problem I had, and my dealer called me and also checked. I feel Ford has given me great service. I might joke once in a while but I own many Fords and keep going back.

im not trying to be an ass i was just stating a fact that people buy these things and then get on here to complain about it.
no i dont own the new one but work on them all the time.

Really?

first off im not trying to start a fight...
...It may surprise you to learn that there are likely many more owners who are happy with their Explorer than those who are not...
I'm very happy with mine too...
Piercesean,

I think you’ll see that many owners, including the ones who posted here, love their Explorers. This is an awesome community to share and learn about your ride. :)

Cory

im not trying to be an ass i was just stating a fact that people buy these things and then get on here to complain about it.
no i dont own the new one but work on them all the time.
Isn't that in part what these forum were created for? Not all posts are complaints. There are many posts with questions on how things work. Others provide constructive ideas on how to improve upon what is currently there and still others show that owners are very happy with their Explorers and have posted updates of what they have done to modify their vehicle. This site has provided invaluable info to many owners and prospective owners alike.
I was (and still am) a member of the Toyotanation.com forum for 6 years and still post there from time to time. That forum is just like this one. Complaints and compliments. I'm sure other forums operate the same way.
Merry Christmas.:)

No problems for me 8200miles,6 mos. I had bunches of problems with my '09 Buick Enclave within 50k miles. Every part that was replaced was with "a new improved" part. That's why I traded at 49900 miles, just before warranty ran out. I do wish the Explorer had a 50k warranty. Hope I don't jinx myself.

I'm very happy with the Explorer, as I stated in my OP. It's just a few little things that I'm not happy with. I don't know anyone whos 100% happy with their car. You can be happy about something overall while being dissatisfied with a small part of it :)

No problems for me 8200miles,6 mos. I had bunches of problems with my '09 Buick Enclave within 50k miles. Every part that was replaced was with "a new improved" part. That's why I traded at 49900 miles, just before warranty ran out. I do wish the Explorer had a 50k warranty. Hope I don't jinx myself.

Speaking of warranty, are owners paying for an extended Ford-backed warranty? If so what are they being charged for a Ford extended warranty?

Maybe I'll start a separate thread for this so people can easily refer to it.

We sold a Blackberry Playbook with 5 dead pixels on the screen on the first day. Does not lead me to believe they are an inferior product.

Not that it applies here regarding Explorers, but RIM is an inferior stock, lol, (not to mention the success of IPad versus unsuccessful Playbook).

Now back to the new Explorer, which is selling very well, and OP's fixes hopefully are done now...

Despite RIM, the Playbook from a hardware point of view is a superior product, but anything manufactured can be defective. I've seen plenty of iPads returned, whether because they were defective or were not what the customer wanted. The Explorer, being a manufactured product would fall strictly within these same lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Speaking of warranty, are owners paying for an extended Ford-backed warranty? If so what are they being charged for a Ford extended warranty?

Maybe I'll start a separate thread for this so people can easily refer to it.
Do a search on warranties and you will find there already is a thread for this.

Peter

Back