Just changed my radius arm bushings and brackets (with pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just changed my radius arm bushings and brackets (with pics)

I did mine over this past weekend. I didn't end up having to replace the brackets, which I am glad. I took my time and cleaned and painted everyting I took out. Most of saturday was spent running to stores to get all the right parts. I got everything apart on saturday then sunday put everyting back together.
I only had to deal with the driverside rivits, the previous owner must have done the passenger side once already. Saturday I user my dremel to cut off the heads on the rivits, then I was able to use a air hammer to get the bracket off. Then sunday I drilled and hammered until they came out.
It was kind of a pain to get everything lined up, but all is good now. It is a night and day difference. Much quieter and smoother. Handleing is also much better now.
Thanks, without this forum, I don't think I would have done this my self. Now I am really sore today. Oh well I know I saved alot of money, it is werth it.

Thanks for the great replies guys!!! Much appreciated.
My concern is I don't have the right tools to do this job. I don't have an air chisel or air hammer, I have a grinder with a cutting disc, but not a small dremmel type one. From what I read, you need to remove the fuel filter to reach the drivers side rivets - I don't have the tools for that either.

DaRocha....is it possible if I don't have that tool to pull the axel fwd., to take off the old brackets, (but reuse them if they're good), and just bolt them back on?

Any advice or tips to do this with everyday tools or with out air tools?

Thanks!

Thanks for the great replies guys!!! Much appreciated.
My concern is I don't have the right tools to do this job. I don't have an air chisel or air hammer, I have a grinder with a cutting disc, but not a small dremmel type one. From what I read, you need to remove the fuel filter to reach the drivers side rivets - I don't have the tools for that either.

DaRocha....is it possible if I don't have that tool to pull the axel fwd., to take off the old brackets, (but reuse them if they're good), and just bolt them back on?

Any advice or tips to do this with everyday tools or with out air tools?

Thanks!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=146713

Using a grinder is a LOT easier. And if you have wrenches...you can get the fuel filter off. Don't have to disconnect. Just unbolt and put out of the way. BTW the piece to get fuel filter disconnected is like $5.

Here is a link I read before I did mine. This link wasn't here when I did mine. No pictures but a LOT of great advice! Don't worry about the come-a-long. Do it the other way (grinding off rivets). Set apart about 6 hours and some patience, and you'll be fine. Maybe a partner to help.

I got my passenger side bushing and bracket done in about 2 hours on a lift.

Truck no longer pulls to the right. And my "death clunk" is gone.

Picture031.jpg

Back